Laundry RecipesCleaning Supply Recipes

Homemade Alternative to BioKleen Bac-Out for Cloth Diapers

I use BioKleen Bac-Out to neutralize the urine smell in my cloth diapers. I am looking for a homemade alternative so I can save some money. Thanks for any suggestions!

By Sara K.

We use cloth diapers on our little girl too! :-) If they're smelly they might be in need of a strip wash. Detergent buildup can make the diapers smell. Run the clean diapers through the wash with hot water and no detergent, then rinse until no suds remain. It might take more than one go to get them clean. Also if you can hang them up on the line to dry, the sun is great at getting rid of stains and killing bacteria.

White vinegar added to rinse will take care of the urine smell.

I am assuming these are white diapers? A cup of bleach in each load of wash works better than anything expensive. My children were born before disposable diapers were the "in" thing and both wore cloth.

These were washed with bleach and tide, and never smelled of anything except fresh air from being hung outside.