Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

Can anyone give me the instructions to make an herbal heat wrap that goes in the microwave? I know that you can use rice or corn, however I would like to put some herbs in it as well.

Rose S from Malvern, PA

Answers:

Making Herbal Beauty Wrap

I have seen them with dried lavender added. (03/02/2008)

By MartyD

Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I have made wheat heat packs and have added lavender too. I see no reason why you couldn't add any herb, I sleep on an herbal mattress overlay which seems to have a blend of different herbs inc. rosemary and sage...bliss. I would dry the herbs in the microwave first just to ensure even distribution throughout the wrap. (03/02/2008)

By purple daisy

Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I've been making the heat wraps for several years now. The easiest and fastest is to use a clean large mens tube sock. I use rice and lavender in the tube sock, filling it about two thirds full. Then I tie a knot at the filling end, tight enough to open for emptying and washing.
I also buy soft washable fabric, comfortable for using on closed eyes. Then I measure 1)- piece of fabric the width from one ear to the other, some people need a little more or less. Add 1/2 inch for seams. Also measure,1)- I like the top of the forehead to about the tip of the nose, make sure the eyes are completely covered, with 1/2 inch for seams. I sew three sides, right sides together, the forth side close most of side, leave the rest open for filling. Turn inside out. In these I use whole flax seed with lavender. Then sew the end closed by hand. These can only be cleaned with a damp moist cloth. They make wonderful gifts.

Either of these can be heated in the microwave, or chilled in the refrigerator.
Enjoy (03/03/2008)

By DMMCW

Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I was just coming here to ask the same question about making herbal wraps. I stumbled on another site, about these wraps. They used rice because it made moist heat (they used flannel) and used popcorn for another. They implied flax seed had a tendency to ignite if heated to high. This is a question more than a statement. Somebody jump in and set me straight. Thanks, Keeper (03/03/2008)

By keeper60

Making an Herbal Heat Wrap

I make them too. I've put different herbs in them as well as lavender. I love the smell of Basil so used that in mine. (03/04/2008)

By Lady