CommunityBetter Living

Neighbors Cutting Firewood

Category Community

I have two sets of neighbors who have taken 7 years worth of firewood and landscaping rocks off our property. They both heat their houses with wood 100%. We also suspect they have also sold or traded the lumber to others. One is a family and the other is their older parents.

We have been kind to them and have let them, but they have always charged us for anything they do, take care of our animals while we are away. I was stranded once and they picked me and my little boy up and charged us for gas. They come over and try and sell us jewelry they make, vegetables, and hay (at higher prices then they sell to others we found out). We have picked up their kids and watched them for free and never ever charged them for anything we have done for them.

We just feel completely taken advantage of by these people. If they cut and remove the lumber themselves should we charge them something or not? If so about how much? Otherwise I think we are just going to tell them that we no longer want lumber cut from our property. Generosity is suppose to be a two way street.

By Ellen P from Searcy, AR

What a bunch of low-lifes! I can't believe how people take advantage of other's generosity. Find out (if you can) how much wood they've stolen and send them a bill plus interest. You could also send them to small claims court as a last resort...but you must have proof that they took it.

I don't know what wood costs now because I don't have a wood stove anymore, but years ago it was $300-$400 a cord. If you can guestimate how much they've taken, you can send them the bill. I doubt if you will ever get anything out of them, but at least you could try. Be sure to get everything copied and even notarized if necessary.

It really makes me mad when I hear what scum bags do to sweet people like you.

It sounds like your neighbors think you are very well off, compared to them. Is this true? It doesn't hurt to be kind whenever possible.
You might want to open a conversation about this with them in a tactful but firm way, to express your feelings of "being used" by them. Just express your own feelings, don't accuse them of anything. Keep your cool and see how they respond. Hopefully they will respond to you in a way that will let you keep good relations with your neighbors!