Organizing Legos

We had huge Rubbermaid containers full of Legos that all 3 of my kids loved to play with daily. They would dump the containers so they could get pieces that were all the way at the bottom (of course HAHA). So after time we would find Legos all over the floor, under furniture, and were constantly stepping on them.

We came up with the solution to take an unused comforter, lay it out, and dump the Legos all over the comforter. When they were done playing, we would pick it up and bring the ends together and slowly "pour" the Legos back into the containers. It was a life saver. They got to see all the Legos at once, and I knew where all the pieces were afterwards.

By Dawn from Omaha, NE

6 More Solutions

I organize my Legos with a set of drawers I found at Home Depot that were designed to be hung on a peg board wall. The little drawers are great!

You can remove them easily. I sort them by size and color. It is a great help when putting together a large project.

Peg Board Drawers for Organizing Legos

When my son was a little boy, he had a bag to hold his Legos. It was a circular piece of material that had a drawstring. So he was able to spread it out on the floor and play with the pieces, but then pull the drawstring tight and it formed a bag.

If they are Lego sets, then the zipper Ziploc bags really work for this. Keep each Lego model in different Ziploc bags and put them all in one shoebox or big box.

Use the popcorn tins you get a variety of popcorn in. You can throw items that they created and don't want to tear apart in these.

Another thing you can do is use tackle box or divided craft boxes and separate each color or type into each section.

My son loves Legos. We recycle the small vegetable boxes with flaps and lids that we found at the produce department in our grocery store. We brought them home and glued plain paper onto them to cover them up.

My 7 year old son is very big into Legos, the Harry Potter, Atlantis, and other sets with thousands of tiny pieces. I need a way to organize and store them so he can easily find the pieces he is looking for without dumping them all over the floor. Any suggestions?

By Mary Jo

Answers

Consider using a plastic tackle box, the kind for fishing tackle. I have one in pink and one in purple and use them for crafts and storing hair accessories.

We have many large sets of Legos, too. We have them in a *large* storage bin. I tried keeping different sets separated in gallon size Ziplock bags, but my daughter was dumping them out and mixing them up. If your son won't do what my daughter did, you could do a big bin with sets divided into labeled Ziplocks, or maybe with smaller plastic storage containers inside the larger one.

Hobby Lobby or your local craft store sell containers with separate compartments for jewelry making. They make them in a carrying case or standard. We did this for our son and it worked great.

Hope this helps.

Thank you to everyone for your help. We really appreciate it. We got a tackle box for the small pieces and a different box for the large ones.

My son was also a Lego collector, we used small plastic totes to separate by color. He had several tackle boxes that he kept his special pieces in. They have dividers that can be adjusted to the size compartment he needed for the particular pieces. The totes and tackle boxes were stack-able as well and that made me happy because it was easy to keep his room clean and clutter free when he wasn't "creating". Hope this helps. Did I mention that he had over 5000 pieces!

Answer this Question

Organizing ToysJune 30, 2011
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Organizing-Legos-1.html