Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I bought a second hand kettle from my charity shop, but never checked the inside. So, I need to really descale it. Can you use ordinary malt vinegar or cider vinegar, as all the tips say to use white vinegar? I just wondered what the difference is? Many thanks.

By Helen from UK

Answers:

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

You could use malt or cider vinegar as well; sometimes they are more expensive here in North America, so that is why white is suggested. As I said in a previous post, you might look for a special kettle descaling product or CLR if you have that product in the UK. Either would be a stronger acid, which would speed up the process if there is a lot of scale. (05/24/2010)

By louel53

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I have used this. Cut a lemon in quarters and put in the kettle. Fill with water and boil. Then rinse out it works great. You may need to do this a couple of times. (05/25/2010)

By shellmax

Removing Build Up from Tea Kettle

I use borax. I put it in, add a little water to make a paste, let it sit for 30 minutes or so and scrub with a sponge. Rinse out well and several times. This is an all natural product so I would not suggest eating it, it is safe to use this way. (05/25/2010)

By cutepachef