Starting a Red Hat Society

I work at a nursing home an was wondering how do you start a Red Hat Society?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Here is information from their website on how to start a new chapter. http://64.62.15 … tartChapter.html

I guess you would have to be the queen bee and ladies would join as supporters, but a dues-paying sorority doesn't seem right for a nursing home imo. I would see if there's an established group near you that your members might join instead.

If you wish to be an official Red Hat, you must contact the website. Google it. However, our club operates as an official registered Red Hat club, but not all the members belong to the national organization. Our yearly dues are something like $5, which goes into the kitty for such things as get well cards or door prizes at gatherings. We take turns donating door prizes. You could likely get volunteers to donate things for nursing home residents. If you have a local club, why don't you talk to them, and see if they will give you a hand, just for the fun of it. Red Hats is purely for the socializing -- no good works and no fundraising, although some groups do some "good works" if they think it is fun (decorating a Christmas tree for a fundraising event in the community, for example.). It could be a good fit for a nursing home.

Why not start something different? Like the pink boa ladies??

I have volunteered for years at a local nursing home and I'm not sure this is what you are really looking for. Are there mostly ladies in this home? Now, I will be the first to state that volunteers do not know all that goes on in a nursing home (like the regular workers do) but I do help with entertainment and many (most) are not capable of going places or really "dressing up" but the ladies do love pretty things. Most activities of the Red Hat Society is going places.
maybe you could just start a group of your own and let everyone pick a name for your club? Maybe even something that would/could involve men also. Hats are a good start for costumes (even men) if you are careful to keep everyone's name in their hat. maybe a certain color of tops/shirts could be next.

This sounds like a nice thing you are trying to do so I wish you success in your effort.