Cool Links

CarTalk.com

Category Cool Links

Website for the Car Talk radio program, which you can listen to on NPR.

Link: http://www.cartalk.com/

Your answer to the clock that needs no resetting, in spite of the Kansas qualification, is also an Atomic Clock. It is battery powered and receives a signal from the Atomic Clock in Colorado (?) twice a day.

This signal sets the time, including EDST, the date, and the day.
Please reconsider your answer or there is a danger that our battery powered atomic clocks may melt down around the country.

Why is it that no national campaign against the bad engine (2.7) has happened. From the many reports that I have seen on the internet from upset customer complaints, it would seem that some sort of comfort should be given to those disgruntle car buyers. Recently, my Intrepid engine went down on me. Now, its going to cost me a lot of money to repair and then the fear will continue because the fact is enlodged in my mine that its a BAD investment. I paid over $20,000 and now no one wants to buy it because the word is spreading about the Intriped. What can we do about this problem????""

The barber was female.

Hello, Gentlemen. I drive a stick shift myself, a 1991 Toyota Camry with 220,000 miles on it. It seems to me that the man was able to tell the Corolla was a stick shift because when you look inside the window of a stickshift, you see three pedals instead of two, and also, the stickshift control lever itself is much different from an automatic shift lever. There are no numbers or letters or words around the stickshift lever to identify the gear you're in. The lever usually has a leather bag at its bottom, and nothing more. I hope this is the correct answer to your question. Your show is very funny as well as informative. Thank you putting a smile on my face.

The answer to today's puzzler, October 27 is: there are thee boys and four girls in the family.

thank you --
Linda Goldenberg NYC

We have no Odometer,gear selector,speedometer,or gas guage that is operative.

I listened to your 11/10/07 show, where a caller asked about cooking food (meatloof) on the manifold of her car. I've often heard about using the heat from a vehicle's engine to cook food. I'm not into that myself, but it occurred to me that some resourceful inventor could use existing technology and come up with a mini heat exchanger to make use of an engine's heat for any number of things, including cooking. It's use in a motor home would really be useful. The heat could be transferred to an enclosed "oven", located somewhere convenient inside the car, the engine compartment or the trunk. The temperature and cook time could be controlled, much as it is in an oven. Circulating the heat with a fan would probably shorten the coventional cooking times.

New industries could emerge for a kind of spill proof cooking container, along with recipes, etc.
Maybe I have too much time on my hands.
Anyway, I really like your show. I listen as often as I can. If you proceed with doing an animated version of your show, make sure you have some callers like Bart Simpson in it.
Best wishes for continued success, Don Francke

Editor's Note: Hi Don, we are not CarTalk but I've been a fan of it for years. Go to http://www.cartalk.com to post comments for the show.

Where, who, how, can I get the plate that was made to fix the frame where the steering gearbox WAS attached?

Answer to Sunday's,Puzzler,concerning fellow's quick, anti-theft, method. Under hood access necessary. Switch center wire with any other cylinder wire.makes engine fire on this one hole at correct time, but will not start unless you have a model "A",and is difficult to spot unless you know the secret!

I hear knucklehead often enough. I think the show should be called the knucklehead mechanics.

The difference in weight (40lbs) is due to the gas they have already used.

CLICK & CLACK.
THE EXTRA WEIGHT OF THE TRUCK IS PROBABLY AN ADDITION OF FUEL TO THE GAS TANK.
JRESPOSITO26 AT PEOPLEPC.COM

I enjoy your show and comments. Recently you commnented on buying gas from a cold pump, Etc.

A hazard that comes up here in cold Minneapolis is filling you car with gas from a cold pump, then putting you car in a warm garage. The gaa will expand and in some cases overflow on the floor with resultant danger of explosion. It has happened here on occasion.

Keep up the good work

PADDLE SHIFTER
Barely touch the paddle shifter, and it goes from 5th to 1st gear in a heartbeat. The computer does not over ride this situation..
Do this at 70 mph and it can ruin your day. I was assured by the dealer that the computer would not let the engine over rev and blow up.
I don't believe it.

OIL CHANGE:
Be sure and put 5/W20 motor oil in a hemi.
Oil changer used 10/W30 and the MDS 4 cylinder shutoff quit working.
The dump truck used 5 gallons of fuel. That's why it was 40 lbs lighter
Pianoman

In regard to which part of the car traveled the farthest:
My answer is the doors, since besides traveling along with the other parts, it was opened and shut at least a couple times and that is traveling back and forth. Helen Richardson helennr AT comcast.net 203 697 0818

She went to work on the evening before the spring time changes, got off at 130 and therefore arrived home at 330.

I once owned a 1955 Volkswagen. The owners manual instructed to drain oil, add 1 quart kerosene, run for some seconds and drain. Fill with fresh 30 wt oil. You may recall that the 55 VW had no oil filter. I was surprised you didn't remember this when the caller described the kerosene rinse on this mornings show. SAN ANTONIO,TX

Two callers have at different times called re. this, and I have had this happen, too. (It cost me for an unnecessary Master cyllinder until I took it to the Subaru dealer in Silverthorne.CO. The service managersaid that the six cyll. & four W. turbo do this, and to prevent it ,idle the engine briefly in the AM when it's cold.Why this happens, he didn't know, but maybe your idea about ice in the hose is the cause. I've enjoyed the show for many years. David

Well I think It has to be the wax pencil mark that tire repair guys mark on the tire. Thus identifying a repair was done Gokiwi AT charter.net 541-440-2278

Answer to puzzle on radio show 1/24/09. The employee that had the flat tire and was late for work did not get fired by his boss because when the box asked which tire was repaired at the tire shop, the employee pointed to a tire on his car that was washed clean when the tire repair person was looking for the leak to repair. The other three tires were dirty.

I would like to address your recent article in the star telegram. Tire pressure to high is better than to low. You should set your tire pressure to the recommended pressure, when tire is cold. This will solve any issues of to high or to low, the manufacturer has tested this PSI to assure the optimum amount of air. You should check your air pressure at least every 30 days, as rubber is porous and will lose air. I don't know of any tire store that will not do this for you, as they can also check tires for uneven wear, etc.