Smelly Paperback Books

I recently purchased a large lot of paperback books. The books are in great physical condition. They smell horrible. I believe they have been in a garage for years. (Old gas, oil, exhaust-just like you would think). Any way to remove the smell? Thanks!

Alsy74 from Falmouth, IN

By SusanG (Guest Post)

A book dealer told me that he removes musty mildew smells by putting a scented dryer sheet in the book, then putting the closed book in a closed box for a few days.

By Mary Ann (Guest Post)

Try enclosing in a bag of kitty litter for awhile.

I've had good luck removing all or most of cigarette smoke smell from paperback books by placing the book and about a tablespoonful of unused, dry coffee (NOT instant) in a zipper-style bag. Takes at least a couple of weeks, but it works the best of anything I've tried. Good luck!

By Sheri (Guest Post)

You can also try good old newspaper. In a container that can be tightly closed, put in a few books and some sheets of crumpled newspaper.

Leave for 2-3 days. Try changing the newspaper out after each day. The smell should attach to the newspaper.

febreeze 'em! Works for me