Books and PapersCleaning

Gasoline Odor on Books

I acquired some books that had been stored in a garage and have a gasoline smell. Is there any way I can get rid of this odor?
Gerry Mason

By (Guest Post)

A friend of mine told me that she puts a dryer sheet on the inside of books of hers that smelled musty and it took away the smell. Don't know if it would help with gasoline odors, but it's certainly worth a try!

Debbie from New Jersey

Sorry...but after the book will smell like perfume. I have multiple chemical sensitivity, so I know this one well.

Here is the process:
1. Neutralize as much of the odor as possible by cleaning the outside of the book with a solution of baking soda and water.

2. Seal the book in a plastic bag with several pieces of charcoal. Leave it in for a few days, or longer if needed. Make sure you do not use charcoal with lighter fluid.