Grandmas - A Legacy of Love

When I was a child our family lived away from our Grandmother. She would occasionally visit and to tell the truth, I really don't have many good memories of her. She really wasn't very loving. All my other Grandparents were deceased. So I missed the love and security most children take for granted.

I determined in my heart that I would not ever be the "pain in the neck" Grandma that I had. My oldest son met the girl who is now his wife when her son was 2, and I try in every way I can to let him know how much he is loved. Not just in the things I can buy him but in the quality time I can give him. My life is now free of the stresses of raising my children and I try to give him undivided attention- That's what kids want from Grandmas!

After all -- life's not just about today -- we are making memories!

By Sharon ,Ky

Hi Sharon!
You sound like the perfect mother-in-law. Loving and generous. Good for you! I bet you see your son alot.

When we have grandmothers like you one you described, we need to remember that they are probably passing on how they were treated by their parents or grandparents. That's the only way to make any sense of it.

Sharon,
My memories of my Grams are numerous and
all wonderful and loving, my sisters had nothing
to do with her, "she is OLD" they would say now
when they ask how I know how to do somethingor
what dad was like as a kid, I tell them I learned from Grams. I was a middle kid so her love and support was much needed.
You are wonderful, taking on that little 2year old
my mom did that with my husb. son who was 5 when we married and he loves my parents alot too.

Its the love kids remember.
Annie

I found a saying that goes "Treat your grandchildren to experiences, not stuff." They will remember baking cookies, going for nature walks, and reading stories when they get older.

My hats off to you! My kids don't have loving grandparents too. They also don't acknowledge my daughter from a different marriage. I miss that special loving for them that only a grandparent can give. I vow to be an excellent grandmother and mother-in-law.

Anonymous

Everyone is making me cry my eyes out! I have both enjoyed and sympathized with all of your stories. I feel sad for the ones that never knew a loving grandmother. It is wonderful that you are making up for it by being so caring.

Here is a picture of "Little Tiny Nana", which is what we called her; real name being Mary Ann and 4 ft something tall. She was from Lancashire, England and came to Canada when she was young.

I was named after both grandmothers. Never met my Mother's Mom but heard she was a loving lady and sorry I missed her. (I was born after she died) To honour our grandmothers, maybe more of you would like to tell us about yours.

http://www.teapotcottage.com