RustCleaning

Rust Stain on Antique Wooden Ice Box

We have a antique oak ice box that got stained by a rusty scale. The stain left an imprint of the scale bottom, how can we get rid of the rusty stain?

By Wiliam from Dover, DE

Try vinegar it should work, good luck.

I wouldn't use anything that might bleach colour out of the wood, but I would use a fine grain sand paper (sand with, not across the grain) to remove stained area then to put the antique colour back use strong tea or coffee sponged on.

I would certainly test on another piece of wood first, but the product Whink Stain Remover amazes me when watching the rust just "disappear". I have used it on carpet and clothing as well as sinks and toilets. It's in a brown bottle - about 8" tall - and can be found at Walmart or most any grocery store.

I used prayer and MotorMaster Heavy duty Citrus Hand Cleaner with pumice on a beautiful Oak dining table that had a huge colored stain that ruined the look of the table. Someone had given my daughter a house plant for a gift and when she watered it she didn't notice the basket etc had leaked onto the table leaving an ugly red water stain. The stain sat for months. She had tried everything she knew of to remove it but to no avail. It came to me to try the Cleaner with pumice. It was gentle on the wood surface. It took patience working on the area but the stain completely disappeared. My daughter couldn't believe her eyes when she saw her beautiful table restored with no harm to the finish. You can buy the Cleaner at a Canadian Tire Store. It's made by MotorMaster. Your husband may even have some already in his garage. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first. It's worth a try.

Have you looked at Restor-a-finish?
http://www.howa … .com/restora.htm