DecorationsWeddings

Iowa Themed Centerpieces

Category Decorations

Hello, I need to make some centerpieces with an Iowa theme. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...

Sarah

By Jamison'sMom (Guest Post)

We used to have an Iowa-themed BBQ every year at my grandparent's house (they live in Clinton, IA), and these are a few of the things that jump out of my memory ...

My stepmom used to make woven corn-husk dolls and group them together on the table with wildflowers. They're cheap and (relatively) easy to make, or you can probably buy them at a local farmer's market.

Or, you could find some pretty geodes and use them to hold tealight candles.

http://www.igsb … eodes/geodes.htm

If you're fortunate enough to be in Iowa right now, there are all kinds of mom-and-pop businesses that allow you to dig in the riverbed and collect your own geodes.

(It makes a great science lesson for the kids, too.) You can check with a local elementary school for names + numbers, or again, check the farmer's market.

Hope this helps!

- Jessica

Geodes (state rock), wild rose (state flower), and Eastern Goldfinch (state bird). Having been born and raised in Iowa, we are also known for: pigs, corn, the Iowa State Cyclones and the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. Check traveliowa.org for other ideas. Other things: George Washington Carver developed several uses for peanuts at Iowa State, the Atanasoff/Berry computer was developed at Iowa State, and the Ames Project was also part of Iowa State history.

By Lee-Ann (Guest Post)

What about dried corn cobs set in a tin bucket (you can find them at craft stores) and a raffia bow? Or cute little scarecrows? I'm imagining them on gingham tablecloths.

Best of Luck!