Using Irish Spring Soap in Laundry Soap Recipes

Homemade laundry soap is often made with Fels Naptha or Zote laundry bar soaps, however, other brands including body soaps, such as Irish Spring, work equally well. This is a guide about using Irish Spring soap in laundry soap recipes.

I make the homemade laundry detergent all the time now and was wondering if any one has tried the Irish spring soap for it and if it works okay for the laundry cleaning? I think it would spell good on the clothes but, wanted to check here before making it.

Scarlett from Murray, KY

Answers

Best Answer

I always make a double batch of laundry soap at a time. I mix half made with a laundry soap bar (usually zote since it's cheaper than fels naptha and easier to find where I live) and the other half is made with leftover slivers of regular hand soap (yes, there have been several slivers of Irish Spring in it). It works just the same, and I've had no problems.

As with any recipe, you need to make allowances for your type of water, the dirtiness of the laundry, etc. But go ahead and try it, I'm sure it'll be just fine.

If you don't like the results, you can do what I do--make a batch with a laundry bar and mix the two. Just remember, if you make the liquid, it's watered down so much that there won't be much of the original soap scent left anyway.

Best Answer

My 9 year old daughter and I made the liquid laundry soap with Irish Spring Soap last week. It did make the liquid smell good, the clothes smell fresh, and cleans better than the detergent we bought.

The recipe is:

• Boil 4 cups of water and wittle one bar of soap into it. Stir until soap disolves.

• In 5 gallon pail with cover, add three gallons of hot water (I used right out of the spout).

• Add the boiling water and soap to the 3 gallons, Stir for 1 - 2 minutes.

• Add 1 Cup Washing Soda, stir for 1 - 2 minutes and then 1/2 Cup Borax, stir for 1 -2 minutes.

• Cover and let sit at least overnight.

• In the morning it will be like slime.
Note: I found the ingredients at my local grocery store above the liquid detergent. This is great and will save money (borax and washing soda was less the $5.50)

Hi, I've never tried making home-made laundry soap, but do use Zote & Fels Naptha for stains. Have u noticed on the store shelves they are selling very little powdered detergent.....it's all liquid! I hate liquid as I feel it doesn't clean as well. To me it just cleans the clothes surface & doesn't remove deep-down dirt. Does anyone feel as I do? Does homemade soap clean better? If anyone has a recipe for home-made soap, let me know. Thanks!

You can go on this site and click on the Make Your Own and for the Categories select Cleaning or on your computer just type in homemade laundry detergent in the search area and all kinds of recipes will be there for the powder and liquid form.I believe these recipes work better than the store bought and would encourage you to make some and save money Good Luck!