Building a Potter's Wheel and Kiln

As a maker of wheel thrown pottery, you may choose to build your own wheel and kiln to meet your specific requirements and perhaps save some money at the same time. This is a guide about building a potter's wheel and kiln.

This is a guide about making a kiln. You have taken some pottery classes and are now hooked. You have either bought your own wheel, are hand building, or perhaps you prefer sculpture. Now that your art piece is finished it is time to fire it.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

I am looking for several ideas. I would like plans to build my own potters wheel, either kick or electric. I would also like to build my own kiln.

And finally, I would like a recipe for homemade potters clay and glazes. Connie from Oklahoma

Answers

By Debra in Colorado (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Check out this book: Building Craft Equipment, An Illustrated Manual by A. Jay and Carol W. Abrams.

By Morgan (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I am in the process of building my own wheel (electric). I am following a design that I found online. Here is the link, I will let you know how it goes.

http://www.ceramicsmonthly.org

Also, if you haven't already, check out the site for some kiln suggestions.

Shan
Best Answer

For those of you who are looking to build your own pottery wheel, I have found a good basic template at

http://www.motherearthnews.com.

Put "Pottery Wheel" in the search box and their article "Build Your Own Potter's Kick Wheel" link will come up.

By Samuel (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I looked in the Buute county library website and found a book called "Building Pottery Equipment". It was made in 1975 but I would check your library and see if they have it. I'm going to pick mine up in about an hour. If the instructions look good, I'll tell you all and if you want, I can send you them.

Can someone please help with plans for a pottery wheel and electric kiln? Thanks.

By Willie from Pretoria, SA