Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Activity Ideas for Single Women

When a woman is adventuring on her own, she wants to find entertainment opportunities that are fun and safe. This is a guide about activity ideas for single women.

October 13, 2005 Flag

I don't drink, smoke, gamble, do drugs, or go to church. The nearest place to volunteer is 100 miles away. People ask me if I have hobbies, it's like Wwhat? So I'm asking, Does anyone have any ideas on what a single female could do?

Laurie from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Move?

I'm single and 45 with no children. So I don't even have that to keep me busy. I do have cats though, and those little babies definitely keep me busy. I also do some volunteer work at a museum here and also with a special kids program. Along with my full-time job, I have a part-time job on Saturdays. I take a lot of classes, the university here has a continuing education program that offers a lot of fun classes, like cooking, knittings, sewing, and all kinds of exercise classes. I love to read and if all of that fails to keep me busy I clean my house and try new recipes. LOL!! I have found that there are all kinds of things to do that don't cost a lot of money to do them. Good luck I know you will find some great ideas from Thrifty Fun folks!

Hello Laurie,

I'm puzzled. Seattle is a very large city and there are lots of volunteering opportunities and activities for singles. You say it is 100 miles to the nearest volunteer activities so maybe you live a long way outside the city. If that's the case, I know the area (I'm Seattle born and bred) so may be able to help.

If you put "volunteering in Seattle" into Google, there are a lot of great volunteering opportunities.

As for hobbies, there have been lots of good ideas posted. You just need to decide what appeals to you and get involved. It will help you make friends in the area and lead to fun activities.

Best wishes,

Susan from ThriftyFun

Join a church and become an active member. I belong to a catholic church in my nearest town. It's great.

Volunteer in the library?

Sewing classes.

Plastic Canvas (similar to needlepoint, but goes much faster and simpler and is addictive).

I love movies...mostly anykind so when I first started looking into 3 at a time movies rentals at blockbuster stores..no late fees...well that cost me $30 a month....then I got on the internet and compared.....I went to netflix for ..$20 a month 3 movies out at a time...I thought that was good..but then I found the best one...BLOCKBUSTER ONLINE....$20 A MONTH....3 AT A time plus they give you 2 free coupons to go into a blockbuster store and get 2 movies every month..so it works out to...3 movies a week..12 a month....plus the 2 free coupons..so 14 movies for $20 a month.....you go online and pick out what you want. they send them in 1 to 2 days....they also pay for postage when you dropthem back in the mail when you are done.....you return one they send the next out....they have plans that are cheaper then $20 if you wanted only 1 to 2 movies at a time....Great Deal!!!!...Mar

Here are some of the things i enjoy: needlepoint, knitting and sewing and cross-stitch. If you have friends nearby, try playing cards, Scrabble or other games. Walk, bike or otherwise get outdoors. Maybe there's no volunteer organization where you live, but I'll bet there are people who need help. Do you have a skill you can share to help an elderly or ill person? Or, can you visit someone who doesn't get out much? Maybe you can help them get out more.

Raise a guide-dog puppy. There is an Oregon campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind. The number of the campus in San Rafael, CA is 1-800-295-4050, they can tell you where in Oregon. I think they have groups in all the west coast states. If that isn't possible, contact Canine Companions in CA. Sorry, I don't have number, but check for a web-site. Most states have a "Service-Dog-in-Training" statute that means you can take the dog anywhere the public is invited, with proper documentation and after house-breaking, of course.

These are fantastic programs that will keep you busier than you ever thought. The people in the programs are wonderful and you will meet the most amazing people as you travel your community with your dog. Raising a service dog is truly a gift of love...and yes, it is tough to give them up-like sending a kid off to college.

Here's a few ideas: get a variety of books from the library. Try crafts - even craft books for children have fun ideas and I find it relaxing. When my budget is tight I just get the kid-type craft supplies instead of spending money in art stores. Make a collage, play with paints.

I also enjoy reading childrens and young adult books from time to time - a fun quick read.

Does your library have book sales? I get books for a bargain and used videos for $1. BTW - Have a Johnny Depp film festival sometime. I rent my favorites at the video store.

Exercise tapes and DVDs or walking. There are a lot of free exercise "classes" through About.com http://www.about.com

(with tips for routines or tips on walking, such as step-counting).

Decorate your home for the seasons - I use table clothes, fabric, nicknacks - such as old china that I've salvaged and bring in some flowers or greenery.

Check out free classes at http://www.suite101.com

I've taken free tutorials on Haiku, and Creative Writing. They have courses on art, history, crafts, just about anything you can imagine.

Barnes & Noble also offers on-line classes, but I think they charge a small fee now.

I'm not plugging gambling, but if there is Bingo in your area it is a lot more fun than I thought and a cheap night out. I can play games all night for $6 or so and it goes to a local charity. Folks are friendly.

Also, check into local adult ed classes offered by school districts, or local community college classes or extension classes.

Any dancing or music groups in your area?

I used to do folk dance and ballroom dance for a reasonable fee.

There are also Cyber opportunities for volunteers if you don't find something in your area.

Music - spend an evening enjoying different types of music with CD's from the library or your own collection. Also, enjoy books on tape or on CD from the library. And if you can't find the book you want - ask about interlibrary loan.

If you don't want to adopt a pet for a lifetime, why not consider fostering a pet? Animal shelters are always out of space & look for people to house homeless animals in their home until they are adopted. Most shelters provide the food & veterinary care. They also need people to physically volunteer at the shelter to do tasks such as socializing the animals so they will get used to human contact, grooming (brushing/bathing), cleaning the cages/kennels, feeding, walking the dogs, fundraising, etc. To find your nearest animal shelter, go to: http://www.petfinder.org

Entertainment AdviceOctober 20, 2014
Craft Ideas for Creamer Containers
Crafts Using Single Serving Cream Containers
Red Hatter
Red Hat Society Club Ideas
door lock
Security Tips for Single Women Living Alone
A cup of coffee in a white cup.
Making Single Serve Coffee Bags
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 6:11:10 PM on 10.0.0.192 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.