Using Windows Vista Operating System

Category Adobe
woman with computer problems
It can be very frustrating when a software program does not work properly with your OS. This is a guide about using Windows Vista operating system.

I cannot get my Adobe Flash Player to work on my Dell Windows Vista, 32 bit operating system. Help.

By Shilo

Best Answer

If you haven't corrected your problem yet, I've found that trying to update Adobe Reader or Flash Player without uninstalling the previous version caused some 'non-desirable' issues. Now, I uninstall the present version and install the current version (I've also had the same issues with JAVA).

My computer is Windows Vista/Hewlett-Packard. My security is Norton 360, the only system that was compatible with Vista at the time. I'll have to install new security in a few months. Can anyone recommend a good system? One that works, is easy to install, and doesn't cost a terrible amount?

360 was extremely easy to install but it is expensive and not all that great. I'm still kind of new about computers, everything confuses me, and I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Jo from Hampton Roads, VA

Go to Downloads.com these are all free. just pick out what you want.

Hi! Have you checked http://www.majorgeeks.com ? They have tons of freeware and shareware for all operating systems. The bonus with using shareware is that you can actually install and use the product before you make the decision to buy it.

And who knows? You may find something free there that works great and won't cost you anything!

Cheri in S.C.

When I first got my computer,I had Norton on it.I was constantly getting a virus! After 2 years,I went to use my computer and it had over 300 virus"s.Of course my computer was ruined.After that I went to the free version of AVG.In 4 years now,I have never had another virus,no thanks to Norton.Try it,it really does work !!

I work at a computer repair shop. We have used and sold Stop Sign (eAcceleration) for years. They are not expensive, and based in the US. As a side kick, we also use Spyware Doctor.

Don't be afraid to use your old software on your new computer! If you use Vista, but still have Win95 programs you wish you could use, don't be afraid to try! There's a way you can, without risking crashing your operating system - and even if it doesn't work, you haven't lost or endangered anything.

As long as your software isn't virus detection, backup, or system programs, there's an installation wizard for it, built in to Vista!

From your Start menu, choose Control Panel. From there, click on Programs. Under Programs and Features, look for 'Use an older program with this version of Windows'. Click on that, and load your CD-rom into your drive, and just follow the prompts. Most Win95 programs call for 256 colors and a 640 x 480 resolution, but check your software's envelope or 'Readme' file first.

If the software doesn't work, you'll get a message reminding you that no settings were permanently changed, and for further study, they'd like you to send the attempted information along, anonymously. Hey, anything to make the next Windows better, right? :)

Hope that helps you clear out your software cabinet(s)!

Source: This is all my Beloved Hubby's doing...