SoilGardening

Amending Sandy Soil

Several years ago we had renters in the house I live in now. They planted a rock garden. The soil is very, very sandy and some of the plants they planted are desert type plants and doing well. I would also like to plant different things, something with some color, however nothing seems to grow well. What can I do to correct the very sandy soil? Zone 5

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Answers

I'd consider making raised beds near the sandy soil because then you can officially start again and put whatever compost or the mowed leaves you want in it! I'm talking from zone 4, upstate NY.