Give Coffee to a Christmas Cactus

Category House Plants
This is a guide about giving coffee to a Christmas cactus. Coffee is a trusted secret that many people use to keep their Christmas cactus healthy and blooming each year. Just make sure its plain black coffee.

I have a 55+ year old Christmas Cactus that I got after my grandmother's death. It didn't do very well and didn't grow much and I was about to throw it away; then, I remembered seeing my grandmother pour whatever she was drinking on the cactus, (tea, coffee). I started giving the cactus a cup of coffee once a week and it has just exploded! It blooms twice a year and has grown by leaps and bounds. Try coffee!

By Liz from Birmingham, AL

Editor's Note: This works really well but make sure it is has no sugar or cream in it.

If you can use coffee to revive a cactus, can it be coffee that has cinnamon in the coffee grounds? My mom uses hazelnut cream with cinnamon. Would that hurt the plant or save it from freezer burn?

Answers

I would think that with the creamer in it, it will draw gnats. Years ago a co-worker used to water her plant with coffee and it thrived. She started using cream, and in came the gnats.