Give Coffee to a Christmas Cactus

Category House Plants
This is a guide about giving coffee to a Christmas cactus. Coffee is a trusted secret that many people use to keep their Christmas cactus healthy and blooming each year. Just make sure its plain black coffee.

I have a 55+ year old Christmas Cactus that I got after my grandmother's death. It didn't do very well and didn't grow much and I was about to throw it away; then, I remembered seeing my grandmother pour whatever she was drinking on the cactus, (tea, coffee). I started giving the cactus a cup of coffee once a week and it has just exploded! It blooms twice a year and has grown by leaps and bounds. Try coffee!

By Liz from Birmingham, AL

Editor's Note: This works really well but make sure it is has no sugar or cream in it.

If you can use coffee to revive a cactus, can it be coffee that has cinnamon in the coffee grounds? My mom uses hazelnut cream with cinnamon. Would that hurt the plant or save it from freezer burn?

Answers

Best Answer

As a general rule, milk & creamer products are not recommended for plants - indoor plants or house plants.

• Here is what one plant web site says about adding creamer to plants:
  • One caveat: if you add cream, milk or sugar to your coffee, don't pour it into your plants. Ditto for flavored coffees. The sugars and fats can not only harm your plants and invite pests but can eventually result in a stinky mess. A plant watered with sweetened or flavored coffee may soon be overrun by fungal gnats.
  • Here is the web site for more information.
  • https://www.the  h-coffee-3972312
Best Answer

Plants need vitamins. Milk, contains vitamin D. I realize, am sure it is watered down with countless other things. Did not stop my elderly cousin from filling a milk jug up with water, and pouring it around plants. Having that indoors- the smell and attraction to bugs would be a bit of a bother. I use my boil egg water, I rinse milk jugs just to take advantage of what is left of it.