Droopy Peace Lily?

Identifying a Houseplant - peace plantI'm caring for this plant for a friend; but am not sure what it is. It looked worse when I got it yesterday; it's perked up a bit after fertilizer and water. Is it a low-light plant?

Thanks for any response!

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

This looks like a philidendron

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

I believe it is a peace lily and does not take a lot of special care.
This plant has some information about the general care on a ThjriftyFun link.

www.thriftyfun.com/Droopy-Peace-Lily.html

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Looks like my peace lily is at the moment. Wilted. They like water and warm but not hot places. I have had mine for 13 years and they do pop back up once you give them a drink. I never fertilized mine and it seems happy. Once you give it some water, it should be fine and your friend will not know it had the wilt.

It likes low to moderate light. If it does get a few yellow leaves, you should cut the off with a sharp scissors. It will be fine! Take care! Happy plant sitting.

Anonymous

Yes that is a peace lily. Just add water. It will pop right back. I never fertilize mine and it is huge. I trim off yellowed leaves and I keep inside in winter and outside in summer time. Peace lilies need to be repotted every two years to a bigger pot. I never put mine in full sun outside and it is not picky about certain amounts of sun inside. I have had mine for more years than I know. And started new ones from it that are thriving well. Plenty of water and replant into bigger pot every two years. The wilt will pop back up after watering. It is a hardy plant. Not finicky so it is actually hard to kill one. Or mine would have died years ago. Add water and it will be fine.

2 More Questions

My peace lily seems to have healthy leaves, no browning or wilting, but they are all bent. This plant was a gift and they have always been this way.

The plant is in an east facing window with early morning bright light and then filtered light all day. What causes this and can I fix it?

Why Does My Peace Lily Have Bent Leaves? - sort of droopy leaves

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

You may have too much light or a high temperature

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 107 Posts

The leaves of a peace lily can droop because its in need of water or because it has been overwatered. This plant is rather finicky about moisture, lighting and temperature. You can find some possible reasons for droopy leaves and suggestions for helping your plant at

smartgardenguide.com/.../

You may need to up the watering schedule if it is always like that. Mine gets that way when it is thirsty. These like water.

They also like strong afternoon sun, so you could try it in a different window if it is not getting enough light.

I have had one for going on 15 years and it is still going strong!

Peace lilies are nice and once you get yours situated in the right place along with a good watering schedule, you will enjoy yours.

This is not a plant for direct sun, which burns its foliage. Peace lily flourishes in moderate light, and it even tolerates areas of low light. When peace lily receives too much light, its transpiration rate is higher, which means that it loses water more quickly and it may become droopy.

Sometimes it is difficult to know when to water and when to wait a while.
I have used a meter for checking moisture and ph in potted house plants for many years and I love it.
If you do not have one you might want to give one a try. They can be purchased at most garden centers - Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, online - not very expensive and last forever.

www.walmart.com/.../648362332

Here is a link that has information on how to check water/moisture in house plants:

www.gardeningknowhow.com/.../testing-moisture-in-plants.htm

Care information:

smartgardenguide.com/.../

homeguides.sfgate.com/peace-lily-droopy-93239.html

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts

Could you be over watering?
Have your peace lily always been near that window, would you like to try another window?

Answer this Question

Question:

I just repotted my peace lilies and now they are very droopy, what can I do?

Megan from Sumter, South Carolina

Answer:

Megan,

It's likely that your newly repotted peace plant is still suffering from a bit of transplant shock. If your plant was healthy at the time of repotting, it should snap back in a couple of weeks. To help it recover as quickly as possible, you'll want to minimize any additional stress. Give it plenty of light, but make sure to keep it out of direct sunlight for a week or two. Keep its soil moist, but not wet, until the roots have had enough time to become firmly established. This usually takes anywhere from 2-3 weeks.

Don't give it any fertilizer until you start to see some active growth. This may take a few months, so be patient. If you repotted your peace plant into a much larger pot, you may want to move it to something a bit smaller. It's always best to choose pots that are only one size larger than the pots your plants are currently in. When you go from small containers to large containers you increase the soil volume. This means the soil stays wetter longer each time you water and the roots may suffer as a result.

Ellen

Answers

By Monita (Guest Post)

Your Peace Lilly needs water. It will pop up again and be as good as new.

By Heidi Wallace (Guest Post)

As you probably know peace lillies are very hardy and are hard
to kill. Water the plant and it should come back to life again.
One other trick to try if you drink coffee feed the plant some

Ever since mine has been caffinated the leaves have this

great shine to them, and it never droops.
Good luck.

How much coffee I have two pretty good size plants

Answer this Question
Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsNovember 2, 2015
👔
🌻
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Droopy-Peace-Lily.html