Black Spots on Tomatoes

The leaves on my tomato plants are turning yellow and dying and some of the tomatoes are black on the bottom. However, new leaves are growing up the side of our house. What can I do to stop the yellow leaves and black on the bottom of the tomatoes?

Wanda from Chapel Hill, TN

Editor's Note: Here is a recent request about tomatoes with yellow leaves:

Black Spots on Tomatoes

I have gotten the same thing on my tomatoes and it is caused also by a lack of lime. I sprinkle lime in the soil and work it in and it solves the problem. I found it mostly on my plants that are in container pots.

LI Roe (08/09/2007)

By LI Roe

Black Spots on Tomatoes

Blossom end rot, not good. Yellow leaves early blight? Comes before tomatoes start ripening. Like the lady said, calcium for rot, also lime or broken dry wall. I also like spraying with Epsom salts.

For blight spray neem oil, copper spray, or other anti blight sprays. Can't say one works better. (08/11/2007)

By McMillan968

Black Spots on Tomatoes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes