Bottle Your Own Beverages

Buy a few small bottles of water, then have the 5 gallon bottles delivered and refill your cleaned bottles. Fill bottles with other drinks to have on hand (in the car) for before or after the restaurant, movies, carnival, fair, theme park, etc.

By LRP from LWL, MA

Answers:

Bottle Your Own Beverages

I don't see absolutely anything thrifty in buying 5 gallons of water. When it is economical to buy a water filtration system or even the Pur/Brita water pitchers are cheaper than buying the 5 gallons of water. To me, personally, this is a waste of money. (04/27/2007)

By especielle

Bottle Your Own Beverages

Our water is very bad and really undrinkable even with filters. We buy bottled water at Sams Club at $4.00 for 36 bottles. Most grocery stores offer a water filling station. You can fill a gallon jug for less then .50, definitely a cheaper option. There is a problem with refilling the smaller bottles. I used to use just a couple and refill them repeatedly, but after a while they started tasting really bad. There is something about the bottles that is affected by refilling and over use. So recycle them, but not too many times. (04/27/2007)

By Designersheets

Bottle Your Own Beverages

While this seems like a good idea, there is no real way (dishwasher or bleach and hot water) to kill the germs that accumulate in these bottles after time. It's been scientifically proven that it can make you sick to reuse them.

2 options, buy water at Costco (Kirkland brand) or any warehouse store, recycle the bottles for money (here in CA 5 cents each) or buy a reusable water bottle that can be sanitized and is good for the environment. I don't know the name of them but I do know that Oprah.com has the link to her "Green" show that should have the water bottles on there. There were some with a filter on them (I checked at our local Whole Foods and she didn't have them but is very interested!) and a metal type one.

I do buy water at Wallyworld for 25 cents a gallon for our water dispenser (hot and cold) but am trying to find a way to be less wastefull with the water bottles but still be safe. Maybe I should get those water bottle names too! (04/27/2007)

By michawnpita

Bottle Your Own Beverages

Plastic water bottles are made of a very cheap plastic that begins to leach chemicals into the water when you refill them. I would not recommend this practice. (04/28/2007)

By Erin in NC

Bottle Your Own Beverages

Bottled water is one of the most wasteful scams in this country. For many years, people drank tap water and were fine. I do understand there is bad water in some places, but most tap water is just fine. Filter it or boil it first or do both if you feel your water is bad. The bottles they use do leach chemicals and collect germs over time no matter how carefully you wash them. It's cheaper to stay healthy and save the planet by not adding to landfills! Consider the hard plastic nalgene type bottles for a healthier, reusable plastic alternative. (08/08/2008)

By Mary

Bottle Your Own Beverages
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
🎉
🎄