Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

One of my friends suggested I try popping popcorn in a brown paper bag in the microwave for a healthier snack. I just tried it, and it worked great! Just put about 1/4 cup popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag. Adding more will be a waste because the popped corn will start to burn. Fold over the top a few times, (don't staple, as some directions suggest), and pop in the microwave on high for about two minutes. Not only does it pop as healthy as air popped, but you don't have the maintenance of a contraption and the cost of popcorn kernels is significantly less than buying microwave popcorn. And you can re-use the paper bag to pop more popcorn.

By Britt from Boston, MA

Answers:

Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

What a great idea! (11/07/2008)

By pamphyila

Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

Before recycling of products and reusing, this would appear to be great. Since most paper bags are from recycled paper, etc, please think twice before using it with popcorn preparation.

I buy recycled everything I can, but there is information showing there are possible metal and wood shavings, other types of paper, etc put into recycled products. Please check with the company name on the bag you chose to buy to use. See what they tell you of the composition.

(11/07/2008)

By TandT Grandma

Brown Bag Microwave Popcorn

I tried this and it worked wonderfully. The only trouble is you have to add butter to it or it is plain plain popcorn. I don't mind plain popcorn, but my daughter didn't like it until the butter and salt were added. I think I will get the butter flavored salt to make it a little easier than having to melt butter and shake the popcorn to mix the butter and salt. I'm going to try every kind of popcorn to see which tastes the best. The first one I tried was a generic brand from Wal-Mart. (11/09/2008)

By Judy