Buying African Violets

By Ellen Brown

Where can I find huge African violets for sale?

Pauline from Woodstock, IL

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to when you say "huge" African violets. The largest I have seen come in 6-inch pots. Optimara is the world's largest grower of African violets. You may find the field guide offered on their website helpful. It lets you search for African violets by pot size If you are unable to find the type of violets you're looking for locally, there are several sites that offer African violets online (I have not tried any of them). Here is one: Search under African violets for oversized African violets that come in 6-inch pots for $19.99 each.

You can buy African violet seeds here:

For already established miniature, trailing or standard-sized violets check here:

Good luck!

Buying African Violets

Try Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, Dolgeville, NY online website: They have been growing and hybridizing violets since 1954, a nationally known and winning violet grower. The pictures on their website are gorgeous. Once you're on the site, just click on "photo gallery". I work for a gardening magazine and have visited some very interesting growers and also feel we should support more independent growers. They know their stuff!
Good luck. (01/11/2007)

By Pat

Pot of purple African Violets against a white background
Buying African Violets
African Violets
Growing African Violets
African Peanut Soup
African Peanut Soup Recipes
African children holding a sign that says hope.
Donating Books to African Children
African Daisy Photo
Growing African Daisies