Buying a Car for $2000 (or Less)

Category Buying a Car
Finding a good, inexpensive car that won't soon need repairs or parts is challenging. This guide is about buying a car for $2000 (or less).

I want to get a decent second car and I have one thousand bucks to do it. Does anyone have any tips for the best place to look for a cheap car. What models should I look for and what should I look for as far as condition? Tips, advice, or resources would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Tim

Best Answer

I have never paid more than $500.00 for a vehicle. What I do is go to auto auctions. These are the same auctions that used car dealers go to for cars. You might have to do a little work on it but usually they are good reliable vehicles. You will have to call them and ask if and when they have the public night. Good Luck and do not forget to look up your states Lemon Laws before buying a used vehicle.

Best Answer

My in-laws get cars for there kids at a local auto body shops. They pay anywhere from 500. to 1000. for fairly new cars that have been repaired.

Best Answer

In our neck of the woods there is a group called "Cars for Causes" to which people donate their vehicles for charity and you can get very good deals there. See if there is anything like that around you.

Best Answer

try craigslist

We got a 92 Honda Accord from a friend for $1K. Look at Honds, Toyota, etc. with lots of miles.

Oldsmobile, older American vehicles - cheap parts

Buy from individuals

Take a mechanic friend to auctions, show up early, make a list of what you want and stick to it or you may get caught up in the excitement and impulsively buy one that you forgot was wrecked on the side you don't see from where you are now standing (that happened to me! LOL)

Buy a Blue Book and NADA guide at the bookstore

use the books at the auction or as you look at the paper

I would try http://www.carsforagrand.com they have tons of cars all makes and models for under $1,000