Buying a Horseradish Grater

Category Kitchen Tools
Buying a
Horseradish Grater
One way to prepare fresh horseradish for use in cooking is by using a specialized horseradish grater. This is a guide about buying a horseradish grater.

I'm interested in an attachment for grinding horseradish. I've found a rasp grater and a ceramic ginger grater both on Williams Sonoma and was wondering if you knew if these items would work or could you suggest anything else? Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Michele from Nashville, TN

Answers

Best Answer

I would check out Japanese food preparation sources online. They can be pretty inexpensive, and the Japanese handgrate their version of horseradish (wasabi) regularly. You can find them rather inexpensively if you price shop. Be sure and check eBay, too.

Best Answer

I use a food processor. Use a vegetable peeler to clean the horseradish, cut int one inch pieces, start the food processor and feed it in through the top. Put a little water in as you're going. Grind to whatever consistency you want.

Let it set for about 5-10 minutes, to get stronger, pack in jars. Cover with white vinegar, and cap.

Works for me.

Have you checked out a salad shooter? It comes with several different type of blades and does the job quickly. One blade is for cole slaw and if you use this blade and then use a food processor to thin the horseradish even more, that might work for you.

Are you aware that when you grind or grate fresh horseradish it can sting your eyes? I use a grinder to grind horseradish but I do it outside to eliminate some of the burning in my eyes. Even then, my eyes still watered a bit. Keep your face away as much as you can and hold your breath a bit, horseradish is very strong when it is ground. At least it is when I do it.