Canning Pears

My pear tree is full this year and I'm wondering what to do with all of them. Last year we gave so many away that not everyone could eat all of them and some went to waste. Can I can them and how do I do this?

Sandy

Answers:

Canning Pears

Absolutely yes, pears can be canned. Years ago I did them by the 40 pound box. Peel the pears, cut in half or quarters, removing core, put in a sterilized jar and cover with a simple syrup (sugar and water, boiled together, sorry, I forget the amounts, but if the pears are sweet, you can make a light syrup and omit some calories). Seal and then I think you have to water bath process them. Again, I can't remember how long, but I bet the instructions would be on the Kerr or Bernadin websites. (08/25/2005)

By Mary

Canning Pears

Canning pears is easy. Leave the peel on or take it off, leave the pear in halves or in chunks. Make a thin sugar syrup (1 cup sugar to 2 cups water), pour over pear pieces in jar and process for 15 - 20 minutes depending on the jar size. Just be careful, process them too long and you will have mush.

Another option is to slice the pears, peeled first, into thin slices, dip in lemon juice, and dehydrate. Kids love it! (08/25/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Canning Pears

If you find you tire of canning pears please consider giving them to your local food bank. They are in desperate need of fresh foods to give to families who have a hard time eating properly regardless of the time of year. Thank you for your consideration. (08/25/2005)

By kittyhassparkle

Canning Pears

If you are concerned with recipes using pears, go to
Cooks.com and put pears in the search line. (08/25/2005)

By Linda

Canning Pears

How about some pear butter? I use the "Ball Canning Guide" recipe, except I remove all peels and cores and discard. I get the lightest, cleanest tasting treat! Give it a try. (08/26/2005)

By Lori

Canning Pears

Try pear preserves they are delicious on hot biscuits. (08/26/2005)

By janneba

Canning Pears

Pears also make wonderful jam and pies! (08/26/2005)

By mamacard

Canning Pears

My mom canned the pears from our tree when I was younger and I substituted them for the bananas in a banana nut bread recipe, without the nuts, and it was fantastic! You've got to try it! (09/22/2005)

By Tylise73

Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Pear melting out of a block of ice.
Freezing Pears
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries
🎄