Cheapest Cell Phone

I am looking for the cheapest, absolutely basic cell phone I can find. I borrowed one that was supposed to have unlimited calling, but after a certain number of minutes there was a charge of 40 cents per minute!

Are there any cell phone services with which one can use a calling card, getting the cost down to 3 to 10 cents per minute?

I want to buy a phone without a contract, is there such a thing?

Any suggestions?

Marty

Answers:

Cheapest Cell Phone

I am not sure where you live, but there is a cell phone company here in Oklahoma called Cricket and for $39.95 a month you get completely unlimited minutes and there is no contract. It's really a great deal no tricks or gimmicks, all unlimited no matter how many minutes you use 1 or 10000. (11/27/2004)

By Kendra

Cheapest Cell Phone

I think if you own your own phone you don't have to sign a contract, or you can at least buy prepaid minutes. Look on eBay for cell phones, some of the basic used ones are pretty cheap, just be sure the provider services your area. You could also call the provider ahead of time (the seller will show on their listing what provider the phone is set up for) and ask them what plans they have that don't require a contract. A good one to check might be Verizon. I know for sure they have some prepaid plans. Good luck. (11/27/2004)

By glomax56

Cheapest Cell Phone

Before buying a tracfone, check out

www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/tracfone_inside.html

I bought a defective phone, and could not get through to a customer service rep., nor get any results online. (01/20/2007)

By ticked off tracfone purchaser

Cheapest Cell Phone

If you keep your usage to just "essential" calls, the T-mobile prepaid deal for 1000 minutes for $100 and no expiration for 1 year is pretty good. You can generally buy the $100 cards on eBay for less than $90, no taxes, email pin delivery. One card lasts me about 6 months, which amounts to $15/month. I live in eastern Mass. and the coverage is generally very good. A few dead spots here and there, but I don't know of any carriers that don't get those type of complaints. (04/16/2008)

By Carl

Cheapest Cell Phone

Buy the Sprint pre-paid phones. The phones are high quality so they are a little pricey, but the more minutes you buy for your phone the cheaper it gets, and it's all phone cards you can buy at stores. I think there was one for 750 minutes for $24-$27, which is a steal if you ask me. You should look into it. (05/22/2008)

By Nick

Cheapest Cell Phone

You should just get a "go phone" from AT&T. You pay as you go so there are no surprise fees and no contract. (05/23/2008)

By Arielle

Cheapest Cell Phone

Yes, here is the cheapest cell phone. It's called net 10 and it cost 30 dollars and you get the phone and 300 minutes and every three month you pay 30 dollars again and there is no contract. Your minutes build up according to how much you use the cell phone. It can be purchased at Walmart stores all over the United States. Hope this helps you. (07/14/2008)

By mcqueen

Cheapest Cell Phone

I use Virgin Mobile service. They have contract as well as pay as you go plans. I don't use my phone frequently, so I have the plan where I pay $20 every three months. This suits me fine. They also have other options to suit your needs. They may be worth a try. (05/09/2009)

By 1-2 teach

Cheapest Cell Phone

Get the boost phone, you can buy a plain one for around $20 and for $50 a month, you get unlimited phone calls, internet, texting, and two waying. You can't beat it. If I wasn't already tied down with a two year contract on a cell phone, I would get the boost. I know several people who have them and love it. You can also put just $10 a month on it too, but you obviously don't get unlimited usage. (05/09/2009)

By tulip50

Cheapest Cell Phone

I use Verizon and it is quite adequate to use for calling. I don't use it often, so you can buy a plan that costs you a $1 for lots of calls on one day. No cost on the days you don't use it. I plan the days and go call all I know. They have many more pay per use plans. Look into it. Verizon is a good phone and it is cheap! Plus, your friends can call you on "your days" and if they have Verizon it is free for them. (11/27/2010)

By islandsage

Cheapest Cell Phone
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Cleaning a Cell Phone
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
striped knit sock like phone pouch
Making a Cell Phone Holder
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
🎄