Child Proofing Your House

Teddybear sitting next to a childproofed outlet.
Making sure that children are safe when they are in your home requires some thinking. This guide is about child proofing your house.

When your kids are grown and have kids of their own, you cherish each visit. But let's face it, curious little ones are not what your life is made of now. I am all for kid-proofing a house when they are full-time residents. But after they are gone, you don't need to do all that anymore.

What might be a part time/temporary solution? How about the extended hanger gadgets you can get almost anywhere anymore. I got mine for .10 each and while I mostly use them for jewelry, I thought of this today.

If you have bi-fold doors like on a laundry room, just connect them to each other with a bit of stretching and you are set. Anyone small enough to not know what doors are safe to open can't figure out how to unlatch them and wouldn't be strong enough. This is a good fix that you can unfix when they are gone.

Hope that helps!
PBP

When my Grandson was learning to walk he fell against the wall and bumped his head. I came up with the idea of putting bumper pads on the walls of his room. I got those nap pads that preschoolers use to sleep on and attached them across the lower walls. I used velcro to hold them in place. I found most of the pads at the local thrift store that were in excellent condition.

By Patricia from AL

I am trying to baby proof for 15 month old triplets without going broke. What are some ideas for cabinet locks, toilet locks, stairs, etc.?

Mom2Trips from Erwin, NC

Try the Dollar Store for cheap light switch covers, cabinet locks and things like this. I bought a ton of things like this at the Dollar Store when my grandbaby was born. Good luck!

My daughter's twins are also 15 months old. Her living room looks like no one is living there. The coffee table is long gone. Every picture is pushed very far back on tables. She uses those "rubbery" corners for the tables and a small strap that goes on the refrigerator door (we also have these in our home for the little darlings). My daughter shuts the bathroom doors so they can't get near the toilets. When she visits, we use gates that we used to have for our dog. I really don't think there is a cheap way of preventing accidents. Before we got the "rubbery" corners on our staircase, the little fellow got quite a bang on his head.

Good luck to you with your triplets.

Here goes go to the dollar store or dollar general or babies are us. They do have some stuff that is not expensive. Next take all your favorite knick knacks and mementos and put away. Either put rounded corners on the coffee table or rearrange to put the coffee table against the wall. Rooms that you don't want the kids in just get a chain with a lock at the hardware stores and just put them on the outside of the doors. Doors are open but sweeties can't get in. Knives go up to the cabinets and any sharp things. Have a designated area that they can play in and get plastic containers at dollar store or general to organize the area. Get gates at Walmart can use kids or pets ones who cares and remember home will never be the same but love will be in triple sizes now. As long as no bugs on the floor and could get a dog to help clean the floor (ha-ha). Also as long as you have clean clothes for the day and plenty of milk and diapers and know what to make for lunches and supper you are going to be a ok. Oh no sand in the house horrible to clean up dry rice and spaghetti noodles a pain but not too bad.

We had 2 close together and were on a tight budget too. It was worth every penny to buy toilet lid locks. The type with the swinging arm work best. I did not want to have to worry about one of them in the potty while I was changing the other.

First thing, I would definitely spend the money for a decent, unclimbable gate for the stairs. My son can climb the $10 wood and plastic gates in less than 10 seconds, and he started that around 14 months. So don't skimp there.

We keep the bathroom door shut, that way we don't have to worry about toilet seat locks or him climbing into the tub.

I have eliminated the need for cabinet locks by storing all the dangerous cleaners in the cabinet above the sink. In the lower cabinets I keep plastic bowls and a basket of lids. I have to pick them up often, but it keeps him busy while I cook and also helps him learn because he matches the lid/bowl.

My husband and I recently found out that we are expecting. We are currently renting a 2-bedroom home from from a couple in our church and cannot afford to purchase a home of our own. My mom's cousin is offering us a complete Winnie the Pooh crib bedding set that includes a lamp, but we are not allowed to paint, etc. What can we do to decorate the white walls and make it seem more like a nursery? Also, any other childproofing, toy/supplies buying, or the like tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Jeggie from Elberton, GA

First off...CONGRATULATIONS! I love the excitement of new additions! Please enjoy this time as much as you can...and take great care!Lowe's and Walmart both carry "nonpermanent" borders, but check with your landlords first if just a border is fine. Or find large posters and put them in poster frames. Babies won't notice them for at least two-four months, so it is up to you if you want to wait. Stay away from stuffed animals if you can (or limit them) because all they do is collect dust! I had one or two little ones for my boys, and they latched on to those, then never played with them after they started walking! Safety 1st makes a great childproofing kit, with cabinet latches, outlet covers, and tips to keep your home safe; I would advise doing this while they are still in the swing or not crawling.....

A swing is real good for little ones, and a playpen when they start sitting on their own. JcPenney is the only place I know that sold the crank model by Graco (that was in 2001) and my oldest only used it for three months (he weighed 20 lbs at four months!). And expect them to grow out of clothes VERY quickly....I'd advise stocking up on "neutral" 0-9 months now at EVERY garage sale you see. These sizes are usually almost new or never worn. People may buy you layette sets as you get closer, or find out the sex, so use those for special outings and pictures. A baby monitor is A MUST! I have the Safety First one like in the movie Signs...very creepy! lol Please try to Breast feed for as long as you can, but sign up for all those Enfamil/Good Start formula clubs, even if you are breast feeding! They will still give you lots of information and free baby stuff, plus it is nice to have the formula on hand in case of emergency.

Now, for home cleaning....PLEASE beware of regular household cleaners, with both fumes and extra additives that can hurt both you and the baby! I use Shaklee cleaning products: they are 100% effective, natural, and biodegradeable. Also, they are superconcentrated: one bottle of basic-H replaces most anyother cleaner, and last the life of over 200 bottles of windex and formula 409. They also have the most fabulous supplements on the market today (used by the US Ski team at Torino!) Check them out at www.shaklee.com, and if you have any questions, please email me at healthy_home101@hotmail.com my ID # is ZM06763, and I can help you if you are interested in starting your own business with them. Congratulations, God Bless all of you and please let us know how you are doing!

Kelly

Thank you so much. This should help out a lot. I was wondering though...I've heard about making your own laundry soap and was wondering if there was one for baby laundry soap out there anywhere. I was wanting to wash at least mine and the baby's, if not my husband's as well, in it, since we will be holding the baby so often.

Thanks again

I used the borax/washing soda/regular soap mix, like Fels Naptha in the laundry aisle or I use Pure&Natural, and it is gentle enough for baby clothes:

1/2 cup Washing Soda

1/2 cup Borax

1 cup Grated Soap

Mix together and use 1 TABLESPOON for med/light soil, 2 TBSP for heavy/large.

WARNING: If you have asthma or other respiratory problems, this will travel up your nose and lungs, even just measuring it out! Other people say to use a mask when mixing; I do not have asthma, and have trouble using it. That was my other reason for switching to Shaklee, they have a fragarance free powder that is dust free, and super concentrated to the same proportions.

Do you use the boxed soap flakes or a bar of grated soap? If using the bar of soap what kid is best for baby's skin?

You can find some great baby furniture ideas as well as other baby tips here:

http://www.babi  g-babys-diapers/

Good Luck!