Tracking Down a Continuous Beeping Sound in House?

I hear a beeping sound in my home. There is exactly one beep every minute and it's driving me crazy. This has been going on for the past 7-10 days. I first thought of the smoke detectors, so I reached the ceiling and unplugged the smoke detectors from the wall and removed the batteries from them, but no luck. I then turned off all the circuit breakers and I still hear the beeping sound. I checked all my electronic stuff, but still could not find the source. Did any one have similar problem and were you able to track it down?

By suresh from Durham, NC

Answers

Best Answer

Our computer beeps when the power has been off. Anyway my husband resets it some how. Beleive me he is the computer person in this family.

Best Answer

Check everything that has a battery. Clocks, watches cell phones, house phones. Something is telling you it has a low battery.

Best Answer

I had an old digital thermometer that did it for weeks before I found it! Also on old digital stopwatch/timer.

Best Answer

It happened to me a few years ago, turned out to be the smoke detector. I had done the same as you did, pulled it down, removed the battery but it still beeped. Apparently, you have to put your finger over the "testing" thing on the unit and that completely discharges it. It freaked me out at the time because I new it wasn't connected to anything! hopefully this is what your beep is. Good luck, cheers.

Best Answer

I had something similar happen. I kept hearing something similar to a watch alarm sounding off every night at 1 a.m.! It was driving me crazy. I would follow it, but it always stopped before I could pinpoint the room.

Finally, on a rare night of my trucker husband being home, we were able to track it. It turned out that my young son set the alarm on my digital scale and that was the annoying sound I was continously being awakened to every night.

Best Answer

If it's electrical, you can turn off all of the circuit breakers and turn one room back on at a time. If you still hear it at least you'll know it's a battery operated device.

Best Answer

If all else fails, clean your closets and junk drawers. You may find that you are being driven crazy by something that you don't even know that you have.

Best Answer

In my case it turned out to be my son's cell phone. The battery was low.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Similar issue, but there were two beeps. Seemed to be coming from the ceiling, but smoke detectors were not the source. Listened at ceiling and floor vents. Went outside and realized we could hear the beeps there as well. Eventually we were able to pinpoint it to a couple of smoke detectors in the crawl space under the house. I've never heard of anyone putting smoke detectors under the house!

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I have a soft beep at 9:55 am every single day in my home. I've spent weeks throwing breaker switches, changing out backup batteries, and still that soft beeping happens. It's not related to smoke alarms (I changed the batteries in Oct. 2018), thermostat backup batteries, appliances (power shut off at breaker), not my printer (turned off all sounds, rings, beeps), powered off at breaker. No alarm clocks or clocks run on house power. Please help me before I demolish my home. I am not having auditory hallucinations. I have other witnesses who have heard the sound.

Thank you.

Answers

Do you think the soft beep is from a neighbor's?

A long time ago I heard a faint beep sound in my house and it took me awhile to figure it out and it was an old watch. Any old watches in your home?

Could the sound be coming from your phone or from an old electronic or battery operated item you've stashed in a drawer or box?

It could be a clock or a watch.

I am experiencing a beeping noise in my house. There are 3 consecutive beeps a pause and then it beeps again. This has been going on for 48 hours and I cannot find the cause?

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceJanuary 25, 2017
🍂
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf66657906.tip.html