Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

Category Miscellaneous
It can drive you to distraction, the constant unexplainable beeping of an electric smoke detector. Often it just needs the battery replaced but it may be a signal that it needs greater attention. This is a guide about troubleshooting ideas when an electric smoke detector won't stop beeping.

I had the same issue. My detector beeped loudly once a minute; and another one beeped once a minute, so beeps were heard every 30 seconds from 2 detectors. I vacuumed the units, turned off circuit breaker, disconnected wire unit from detectors, replaced batteries, held test button with battery out and then with battery in. None of this helped. All detectors had green solid light. I tried to solve all day and got a headache of course.

Finally (and this is noted by others too), I checked my plug-in (stand alone, not connected/wired to house or to smoke detectors) carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie brand, bought about 3 years ago; smoke detectors came with new house, now about 8 years old). I had just quickly plugged the carbon detector units into outlets and forgot about them. The carbon monoxide detector was going off! It had a red light flashing. My second carbon monoxide detector (Kiddie, same as this one) was NOT alarming and had steady green light! I unplugged the flashing carbon detector and INSTANTLY all smoke detectors were quiet Yikes! There was no carbon monoxide, I'm not sure why it went off.

So I'd suggest if you have wired/electrical smoke detectors to try unplugging various other things; sensor lights, alarms, small appliances, anything recently plugged in, etc. It might not make sense but it's an easy quick thing to try before trying complicated or expensive solutions, and to avoid headaches! Good luck!

My smoke alarm was set off when there was a lot of dust during a DIY job. It wouldn't stop bleeping when I decided to replace the battery on completing the DIY. I just found the solution; there was still some dust in the sensor vent so I blew into it vigorously and replaced the battery. Voila, it worked perfectly.

I have detached the smoke detector from the ceiling electrical contact, but the chirping continues without stopping.

By Andri from San Diego, CA

Answers

Best Answer

There are two "types" of smoke detectors. One type detects smoke and the other type "sees" fire. Either of these 2 units do not have a long life span only about 5-7 years. Just because the smoke detectors "beeps" does NOT prove the smoke detectors are in functioning order. The only way to test the smoke detectors is going outside and lighting a fire (log, newspaper etc.) away from any buildings and then slowing bring the smoke detector near the smoke and flame to hear if the smoke detector alarms. If no alarm sounds the smoke detector must be thrown away and a new one purchased, usually less than $10.00. More than 5,000 people die each year in house fires, most could be avoided if the smoke detector worked. PLEASE check all of the detectors in our house. Your life is worth more than a few bucks.

P.S. Where is your fire extinguisher? It should be placed near the exit of your house or work. NOT IN THE KITCHEN! If the fire is in the kitchen how would you reach the fire extinguisher? As you are exiting the building and the fire extinguisher is near the exit and you believe you can put the fire out then use the fire extinguisher at hand. Remember this acronym - PPS Pull the pin, Point the nozzle, Pull the handle, Sweep the base of the fire. If the fire is not contained get the heck out of the building, NOTHING in the building is worth your life.

Best Answer

Here is some detailed help for those of us who are "mechanically challenged."

First, check your carbon monoxide (CO2) detector, if you have one, to make sure it is not the one beeping. (If it is, open windows to air out the house and get some help to fix the problem.)

Second, make sure the temperature in your home is within the tolerable range for your detector. (Mine has to be above 40 degrees F, and below 100 degrees.)

Third, change the battery. (Some steps below may not apply to your smoke detector, but hopefully this list will help anyway.)

How to change the battery:

Look where the alarm is attached to the wall, and remove the little plastic "stick" that is stopping the alarm from being turned, if present. (Mine had one in a slot on the right side. It just pulled off.)

Turn alarm in the direction of the arrows on the front of smoke detector. (Mine only turned a tiny bit, clockwise, then I had to pull the alarm straight away from the wall.)

It may be connected still by wires to the wall (or to a hole in the wall actually.) Squeeze both sides of the plastic piece where the wires come out of the back of the alarm and pull straight away from the alarm to remove the plastic "plug" holding the wires.

Now, hopefully, you can open the battery door to change the battery. My battery compartment had a piece of plastic (like a stick) on a spring that popped up when battery was removed. I had to push the plastic stick down into the battery compartment, then push the new battery on top of it so the battery door would close.

If it still beeps after you change the battery, try flipping the battery over. If it still beeps, try a different, new battery, and try it flipped over if needed.

If it still beeps then you may have to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out, OR buy a new smoke detector, whichever is cheaper/easier.

I hope this helps others to avoid the hassle I had to figure out how to change the stupid battery. Mine is still beeping so I'll try the compressed air or buy a new smoke detector once it is daylight.

My fire alarm is beeping like there's a fire and we just changed the batteries! We even took some of the new batteries out thinking that would stop it, but it didn't. We can barely reach the alarms in the ceiling. We can not go hearing this alarm all night. What can we do or who do we call?

Answers

Best Answer

As a retired firefighter's wife, I always suggested calling your local fire department (the non-emergency number). They will answer most questions and may even come over to help you solve the problem. Sometimes they will supply a new alarm at a discount and install it for you. Never hurts to ask is one of my mottos.

2. Also if the inside of the alarm is dusty or full of cobwebs, it will do weird things like ring without the batteries. Take your vacuum to the open alarm(remove the outside housing) and give it a good cleaning.

3. Make sure the alarm is not hard-wired to the electrical system in the house with a battery backup. If this is the case, it will ring without batteries. 4. Finally, be aware that smoke alarms age and should be replaced about every five years depending on the brand.

When you have put new batteries in your electric smoke alarms and they won't quit beeping who do you call for a problem like this? Or what can you do?

By Lynda from Bloomington, IN

Answers

Best Answer

Depending on the model, if the "test" button hasn't been used in 6 months to a year it will continually beep until you do the monthly test. I had this same problem a while back, and it worked like a charm!

Best Answer

Are they older than 12 years? Most manufacturers say replace them after 10-12 years. Are the vents clean of all dust and bugs? If they are hardwired, you may need to reset your breaker (off and back on) or hit the reset button on the alarm. If all else fails, replace them. I am a firefighter, and too many times have heard people say they disconnected them instead of replacing them, sadly, they tell us as we are fighting their house fire.

Best Answer

My friend had that problem and had to call fire dept hers just went off in middle of the night it turned out it was the wiring, it did take the fireman quite a bit of time to figure that out and they said they learned from coming out to her home.
Good luck to you.

My smoke detector won't stop beeping. I have done all of your suggestions. What else is there to do?

By Judy

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry, you have to replace it. That means removing it from the ceiling, but don't do this yourself if you don't have good balance or the right stepladder. If you are a senior or low income, try calling the fire department.

Best Answer

As I understand it, hardwired smoke detectors also have a back up battery. If you haven't already, try and remove the battery. I hope this helps.

My hardwired smoke detector is going off at the interval of every few hours. When one started the other two followed. All three are over 10 years old?

By Monica T.

Answers

Best Answer

All smoke detectors are supposed to be replaced about every 8-10 years, so you're due. New smoke detectors run about $5-$20, so it's not too bad, even for 3. I'm sure the fire department has a program to help if needed.

Some smoke detectors do take a 9-volt battery that can be replaced, but those usually chirp when the battery needs to be replaced - not go off. Even those should be swapped out every 10 years, so I'd still recommend replacement.

Another thing that can make some smoke detectors go off is if they get a lot of dust in them.

Best Answer

It is time to replace them. I am a fire fighter and depending on the type, they are to be replaced every 8-12 years.

I changed the heat detector batteries located in my garage. My smoke alarms in the house have been going off ever since. I now have changed all the batteries in all the smoke alarms and yet, one keeps chirping about every minute and a half.

By Glenn O.

Answers

Best Answer

When this happened at our house, the only way to shut them up was to replace them. Our volunteer fire chief came to the house to install the new ones and said he has heard of this happening a lot. He also said that they would not work if there was a real fire. Good luck. Good sleep.

Anonymous
Best Answer

KUDOS to the person who suggested checking the carbon monox. detector. That was my problem. I tried changing batteries etc.
No Luck. THEN I heard the "tiny" chirp of the carbon monox. detector. It was covered with "stuff". I removed the stuff and changed
the batteries. All chirps stopped! Thanks for the great suggestion!! Hope this helps someone else!

My hardwired smoke detector keeps beeping. I tried turning off all breakers, but it still beeps. I tried vacuuming the unit and wiping, that didn't help. It beeps about every 60 seconds. I disconnected the detector from the wiring, but it still beeps from the hardwired sensor. How can I get it to stop?

By Wayne L

Answers

Best Answer

Some hard wired smoke detectors have a battery in them for back up if there is a power failure. If the battery is running low the smoke detector will start making a chirping sound just as you described.

I have a beeping smoke alarm without a battery. I want it to stop beeping, what do I do? I have turned the power off and I have disconnected the plug from the back of the alarm, but it still won't stop beeping. What can I do?

By B C

Answers

Best Answer

Fixed the same problem thanks to my volunteer fireman neighbor. Vacuum the works. It probably does not even look like it needs it. New battery and you should be rid of the problem.

Our electronic smoke detectors are going off during the night hours. This has happened last night 3 times. It is a warning beep because of a low battery. Does anybody know anything about this?

By Mark from Stafford, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Is your smoke detector also a carbon monoxide detector? I know with our smoke detectors the beep for a low battery is different than a beep for an alarm. My mother-in-law had a man come out for her stove and he said she had a severe gas leak, but nobody could smell it, but him, so it might be that and you just can't smell it.

There's about 6 fire alarms in my house. One alarm started going off then, all the other ones went off for about 30min. Finally it all stopped, but then started again. Now that all the beeping stopped, one continues to beep every minute.

I changed the battery and it still beeps, so I flipped the battery figuring it was in backwards. The darn thing still beeps, I pushed the test button and that didn't work. I don't know what else to do, and I need some sleep. I'd cut the power, but it's my grandparents house so I don't want to do anything I'd get in trouble for. Any advice would help.

By Rose M.

Answers

Best Answer

I had the same problem with a fire alarm in our two bedroom apartment that continually beeped in our living room. One of the maintenance men had to remove the alarm and install another one.

It's not always the battery, maybe the alarms need to replaced with new ones. The alarms in your grandparents home are probably the original ones.

My smoke alarm keeps beeping every 20 seconds. The battery cannot be changed for life of product. I have blown it out, but it still beeps, what more can I do?

By Rick from Wales, UK

Answers

Best Answer

You need to clean it out with a dry wash cloth then find away to change the battery or get a new one.

I have a Kidde model 12060 hardwired smoke detector with battery back up. I came home and the unit was beeping. I got a ladder and put in a new battery. That was no good; it is still chirping. I tried a 2nd battery and the same thing. I turned off the circuit breaker, took out the battery, and it is still chirping. I took the unit down, replaced the battery, tested it, and the alarm sounded. I put it back up and have a green light in the small display, but it is still beeping. I checked all 5 units and all have green lights. It is still chirping and I cannot make it stop.
Help.

Answers

Best Answer

They have an expiration date, check it. It should be on the back of the unit, if you can get to it. Sometimes, they need to be updated depending how old it is.

I recently changed the batteries in 3 hard wired smoke detectors. After about 1 day (happened twice) they all go off at the same time. Any advise please? By the way I tried holding the test button down with the batteries out but no luck.

By Chuck

Answers

Best Answer

Most hardwired smoke detectors have a signal wire which tells all to sound when one goes off. I would take one out at a time, they usually twist on their base and have a plug in connector. When you find which is causing the problem you will probably need to replace it with the same or a compatible model. The other possibility is that when you changed the battery you dislodged some dirt which worked its way into the sensing chamber and causes the false alarm. Gently vacuuming out the detectors may solve the problem.

Why does the fire alarm beep for no reason? There are no fire hazards.

By Irwin W. from Danville, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Some smoke alarms beep if the batteries are dead or perhaps not put in correctly. Hard wired ones will have back up batteries that need to be replaced occasionally and they may beep if the are not wired properly.

There are some alarms also detect carbon monoxide. You may have a separate problem to investigate if it is a dual purpose alarm.

If it truly is broken, they are not that expensive to replace. It is very important to have a functioning smoke alarm.

My smoke alarm will not stop beeping and I don't know what to do about it. I changed the battery, but it still beeps.

By Bonnie

Answers

Best Answer

Remove the cover and vaccuum out the inside. Dust and especially spider webs can make the sensors go off. If that doesn't do the trick, it may need replacing, as they do eventually wear out.

I know this sounds strange. We have electric smoke detectors. Are there batteries in them also? We have one that has started beeping and we can't stop it. Is there a battery in it or do we simply have to replace it? We have lived here 2 years (new) all the other batteries are OK. Our old house had electric smoke detectors and they never went bad. We lived there 15 years.

By Barb

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like there is a short somewhere. You need to contact a licensed electrician-he/she will have the tools and training to track down your problem. Do it as soon as you can because this could be a fire hazard; if you are on a very tight budget you can call the local fire department non-emergency number and ask if they know of any programmes in your area to help you.

Will an old battery cause an alarm to go off?

By C Gray

Answers

Best Answer

I think that they sometimes do. Change the battery, and see if it helps. Can't hurt.

The electric smoke detactor has gone off twice today. I have a heater in the room with it (a bathroom) could that cause it? Can the heat fron the heater cause it to go off? I've checked the entire house, there is no smoke. So what's the problem? The detector is very old.

By Suzanne n

Answers

Best Answer

If it is old, it might detect heat instead of smoke. Please toss it and get one that detects radon, too. They are a bit spendy but better than a home or other loss.

I replaced the batttery to no avail. I removed electric battery backed detector from the ceiling mount. The chirp is coming from inside the ceiling, not the unit. Please help me.

By Giacomo S.

Answers

Best Answer

If the chirping is still coming from the ceiling, then you most likely have another smoke detector in your attic. Get up there and look !!

Our smoke alarm, with no batteries, keeps beeping. It is no where by the kitchen, but in the hall on the ceiling. We live in a bungalow.

By Mavis

Answers

Best Answer

The detector when manufactured has a pull tab installed you pull this tab after you install working batteries. If you pull the tab with out installing batteries or remove the batteries the built- in program beeps until you install working batteries. The detector beeps when it is not functioning properly, as it does with charged batteries. It does not do the job of protecting your household if you do not provide it with the correct care. It will also beep when the charge in the battery in too low to do its job. Please your family safe by installing working batteries and it should stop beeping until it is ready for new energy.

Does the alarm have a battery for back up and if so where is it fitted?

By Gary

Answers

Best Answer

It's most likely a battery issue, what is the key pad display saying? Where is the main panel (big box hardwired to the electric most often in a closet or basement). Your alarm installer can tell you where to get a battery.

I have three electrical smoke alarms and one keeps beeping. How do I fix that?

By Rochelle J.

Answers

Best Answer

When that happened to us, we first replaced the 9 volt battery back-up. When that made no difference, we replaced the beeping alarm. It was 10 years old and worn out, I guess. I have read that they should be replaced every ten years.

My smoke detectors are electronically wired. They beep-chirp for about two hours each day and then stop. I have changed all of the batteries and have vacuumed them. Help!

By lam

Answers

Best Answer

Smoke alarms store error codes. If the beeping continues, and you have a wired in system with battery back-up: 1. turn off the main circuit to the smoke alarm 2. remove the detachable part of the alarm 3. remove the battery 3. with the battery OUT of its compartment, hold down the TEST button for about 15-20 secs 4. reinstall the battery, or replace it with a new one if the original is dodgy 5. reattach the alarm with battery in place to the base. 6 Turn on mains power. It will work again without chirping ('cos you have reset the error code for chirping [usually 'cos of low-bat]).

The in home smoke alarms were installed when the house was built 15 years ago or so. There are four. They are AC with a 9 volt back up. They started beeping or chirping one by one. We replaced the batteries one by one, with all new batteries. I took out all the units. Two of them still chirp with "no" unit. How is that possible, maybe something in the attic?

By Charles from Bakersfield, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Smoke detectors have a shelf life of about 5 years. Try vacuuming out the inside of each unit because spiderwebs and dust can cause chirping as well. They may need replacement, call the local fire department. They are usually happy to come and check it out. If you have critters in your attic, they may have damaged the wiring, the main reason wired in units are not usually recommended. I am a firefighters wife.

My electric smoke detector started chirping every 50 sec. How do I stop it? Do electric ones have a battery as well?

By Dottie

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, the electric ones do have a battery - it's a backup battery for when the power goes off. We recently had the same thing happen and when we changed the battery, the chirping stopped. Hope this works for you.

Load More