Tracking Down a Continuous Beeping Sound in House

I hear a beeping sound in my home. There is exactly one beep every minute and it's driving me crazy. This has been going on for the past 7-10 days. I first thought of the smoke detectors, so I reached the ceiling and unplugged the smoke detectors from the wall and removed the batteries from them, but no luck. I then turned off all the circuit breakers and I still hear the beeping sound. I checked all my electronic stuff, but still could not find the source. Did any one have similar problem and were you able to track it down?

By suresh from Durham, NC

Best Answer

Our computer beeps when the power has been off. Anyway my husband resets it some how. Beleive me he is the computer person in this family.

I'm noticing a beep noise every 15 - 30 min at our home have no idea it's really annoying

I have a double beeping noise around every 20 mins or so, I'm 17 and home alone all weekend so it's kinda scaring me

No,it's in my house

Anonymous

Same thing I think I will die if I heard it again its like a noise thats everywhere like I looked like 5 times and still no luck ):

If you have telus - check their electrical panel (in your closet?) it will beep if their battery is low

Anonymous

Does it sound like its sometime right over your head or behind u not really coming from anywhere but right in the middle of a room

Best Answer

Check everything that has a battery. Clocks, watches cell phones, house phones. Something is telling you it has a low battery.

Best Answer

I had an old digital thermometer that did it for weeks before I found it! Also on old digital stopwatch/timer.

Anonymous

We keep hearing a beep

Best Answer

It happened to me a few years ago, turned out to be the smoke detector. I had done the same as you did, pulled it down, removed the battery but it still beeped. Apparently, you have to put your finger over the "testing" thing on the unit and that completely discharges it.

It freaked me out at the time because I new it wasn't connected to anything! hopefully this is what your beep is. Good luck, cheers.

Anonymous

Thank you for posting this and I followed your recommendation and it worked. I put my

Best Answer

I had something similar happen. I kept hearing something similar to a watch alarm sounding off every night at 1 a.m.! It was driving me crazy. I would follow it, but it always stopped before I could pinpoint the room.

Finally, on a rare night of my trucker husband being home, we were able to track it. It turned out that my young son set the alarm on my digital scale and that was the annoying sound I was continously being awakened to every night.

Best Answer

If it's electrical, you can turn off all of the circuit breakers and turn one room back on at a time. If you still hear it at least you'll know it's a battery operated device.

HOw can it be electrical? Like if the electrical system is out in the house?

Best Answer

If all else fails, clean your closets and junk drawers. You may find that you are being driven crazy by something that you don't even know that you have.

Best Answer

In my case it turned out to be my son's cell phone. The battery was low.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Similar issue, but there were two beeps. Seemed to be coming from the ceiling, but smoke detectors were not the source. Listened at ceiling and floor vents. Went outside and realized we could hear the beeps there as well.

Eventually we were able to pinpoint it to a couple of smoke detectors in the crawl space under the house. I've never heard of anyone putting smoke detectors under the house!

Yes, I did have one time. It was an old man's watch.

This will probably not help you but reminded me of a funny story. My daughter worked in a bar and heard a beeping sound every so often and it was driving her crazy. She searched everywhere and finally turned off all of the power to the bar, but the beeping continued. Tired she went home and the next day asked the daytime waitress about the beeping noise, she said oh yes we found out what was making the noise. Apparently an older gentleman had had a few too many and lost his hearing aid while dancing. The battery was low and was continuously beeping.

My freezer in the garage did this when the door wasn't shut all the way. Took me all day to pinpoint & had to throw a bunch of thawed food away. Cell phone & house phone does it when battery is dying.

Watch a clock to be sure how often the beep sounds, to see if it is every minute like you say. Make sure the house is quiet(tv,kids,etc) then stand at one end of the room & listen for the beep. Move to another side of the room & listen again,see if you can figure out where it sounded louder. Keep moving around trying to figure out where it is louder, if it gets quieter, move back the other way. If you have to, move to another room & do the same until you figure out a general area where it is louder then start searching that area until you find what is beeping-pick stuff up, look inside things,get on your knees & put your head down at floor level if you have to. I've found our phones under the couch this way when one of the kids lost it & the battery was dying.

Even though you don't think it is the Smoke Alarm, Put new batteries in it and see if it stops. They will continue to beep even if unplugged.

Anonymous

Something's was beeping in our bedroom every morning at1:23 an We found out it was my freestyle meter, call freestyle and they will walk you through the steps to turn it off ,so it maybe a diabetic meter

I have heard that some refrigerators do that when the door is ajar, or more importantly, when the door thinks it is ajar. What room does the beeping come from?

it's 3/28/13 and I have been up all night. I have a beeping sound that sometimes changes tone and always is in a different spot.

It's not any of the alarms, phones, appliances, modems, doorbells, watches etc. I have no idea what it is and it is freaking me out!

I have the same problem, constantly for the past 4 days, my friend suggested it could be the electric or gas meter, I checked these but wasn't the case, It is not the smoke alarm as I have stood underneth it and it is not that that is making the sound. I am glad I am not alone with this problem, just wondering if it is a battery dying, how long does it take to completely die?

I checked my gas meter and on the display it says 'battery', could this be something to do with it?

Anonymous

I had the same issue. Drove me nuts for months. Was so quiet my husband couldn't hear it.

Eventually, I figured out it was the lithium ion cordless mastercraft drill battery telling me it was done charging. Lol

OMG thank you everyone. I have gone with a fine tooth comb through the whole house. Wasted a whole day on it and then it went away. My girlfriend can't hear it so much due to hearing loss so I feel like I am losing my mind. It seems to do it at 1 am. and then continue all morning. I can't stand to be in my own house. I can't stand to be in my own mind. I SERIOUSLY started to spin out into ANXIETY attack over this. I burst into tears and cried on the floor for an hour and finally got out of the house. I don't want to be in my own house. These tips helped a lot. BUT seriously if I can't figure this out I will lose my mind! I WILL KEEP YOU ALL POSTED. Glad I"m not alone!

I had to basically calm down and do the thing suggested above. Narrow it down by narrowing the area. That's when I found an old smoke alarm in the back of a drawer.

Lesson: when panicked the best way to solve a problem is to breathe and calm down!!!

Ours is weird! Only at night do we hear a beeping sound. Somewhat intermittent. I can hear when the smoke detector beeps, but only my wife can hear this, and it's loud. Disabled smoke detectors and tripped breakers one at a time to no avail. No cell phones, etc. in the area. Unplugged everything....nothing. Seems like it's in the vent, but adjacent vents have no beeps/ chirps.

Anonymous

My mystery beep turned out to be a Fios back up battery that needed replacing. It was in the house when I bought it, and I didnt even know it had a battery! Ugh!

In my case, my husband turned on the dishwasher and when the process was over, it starts beeping.