Choose Site Carefully For Blackberries

This is just a warning to those of you who are interested in planting blackberries. Choose your site carefully. They are terrible to get rid of if you don't want them in a particular place in your yard or garden. Once they establish themselves, they pop up everywhere.

By Patricia from Lexington, NC

Oh Patricia, you are so very right! I planted one small plant 12 yrs ago and I'm still mowing down all the little sprouts that keep showing up! My suggestion is that if you want to plant blackberries (or raspberries or any other such berry) plant them in a container. That way they can't spread.

One year I even took a small plastic kiddie pool (about 6 feet in diameter) and planted one blackberry and one raspberry vine in the middle of it. Worked out great! I went to a yard sale and picked up a wooden ladder for next to nothing and trained the vines to grow up that. Wish I had thought to take a picture of it.

Blackberries ripening on a vine.
Growing Blackberries
alternatives to ebay
Alternatives to eBay
Clear container with blackberries inside.
Storing Blackberries
A row boat floating in the water.
Buying an Environmentally Friendly Boat
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes