Church Banquet Decoration Ideas

Category Church
Planning the decorations for a special occasion luncheon at your church can be a lot of fun despite the work involved. This is a guide about church banquet decoration ideas.

Jars used as flower vases for a church banquet.

This is a guide about table decorations for church banquets. Deciding on the best decorations for your banquet is an important step in planning.

Our church is having a banquet entitled "An Affair to Remember". Does anyone have any suggestions on decorating with a religious connotation?

By Sarah from Lakeland, FL

You could easily do something to do with memories, scrap booking kind of things. Take a picture of each person, couple, group and let them make a scrapbook page. Use old photos of everyone on a big board/wall and have everyone guess who they all are. Lavender & Lace kind of thing. Have everyone pick something out of a box and make up a story about it as if it were a memento of something. Go with the remember and not the affair. Tulle on the tables with things people save (tickets, pictures, etc).

Assuming this is a Christian church, what bigger love affair is there than God, loving us enough to sacrifice His own Son for our sins? I don't think that anyone could find love like that anywhere else but in God. That is something to remember and to thank God for everyday! I hope this helps!

Affairs to remember: weddings, births, graduations, birth, learning to drive; journeys, retiring, return to health from medical problem. Think celebration of memories! Joyous milestones in our journey! from the $1 store: get lots of balloons and make it festive, and joyous! These affairs in our lives caused us great joy and delight and so: we celebrate these "affairs" or memories in our lives with joy and happiness and thanksgiving!

I am searching for ideas on what to serve, how to decorate, and how to entertain for a Hawaiian luau. Our church youth do a Valentine banquet each year and this year's theme is a luau. The meal must be inexpensive but elegant and the decorations homemade.

Sue

Dear Sue, here's a good, easy recipe for a dessert you might want to serve at your Luau: AMBROSIA CAKE: Combine 1 1/2 cups graham cracker or ginger snap cookie crumbs with 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine and press into bottom of 13x9x2" pan and set aside. Dissolve 2 packages (3 oz. each) pineapple or pineapple-orange gelatin in 2 cups boiling water and cool for about 35 minutes. Stir into gelatin a 20 oz. can (UNdrained) of crushed pineapple IN SYRUP (you want the extra sweetness) and 1 cup diced oranges. (If using canned oranges, use the 11 oz. can and do drain before adding to gelatin.) Chill 'till slightly thickened (about 30 min.). Fold 2 cups of whipped cream sweetened with 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 cup of shredded coconut into gelatin mixture and pour into pan. Chill 'till firm and top with shredded coconut . Cut into squares to serve; serves 16. Have fun!

Look on orientaltrading.com for ideas. We thru a luau party for Girl Scouts. We cut construction paper flowers for leis and strung them together with string and cut straws in between. Took a cardboard box and drew and painted fish on it and cut circles out for bean bags to be thrown threw. Made a scene out of a huge piece of cardboard (fridge box) and painted it out and cut heads on it. The kids stuck their heads thru the cutouts and we took pictures.But go to the website listed and you can find all kinds of ideas. On the food, we had those huge cans of fruit cocktail. A leader and her husband cooked a pig from their farm and brought (cut up already so the kids didn't freak..lol), I can't think what other food was there but the kids and parents loved it.

I threw a Hawaiian-themed anniversary party for my in-laws a few years ago. I borrowed some posters featuring palm trees, etc from a local travel agent, and had Hawaiian music playing inthe background (check your public library -- Andy Wiliams and Elvis both had Hawaiian albums, in addition to Don Ho). I served Waikiki Chicken (1 cup each of barbecue sauce and crushed pineapple, 1/2 cup brown sugar -- mix well, pour over chicken and bake -- or do it in the crockpot) and rice. Pineapple rings add a nice touch, or get some of that tropical fruit cocktail with mangoes, etc. Rather than specifically Hawaiian, think "tropical" -- dishes of goldfish crackers, blue jello with gummi fish in it, etc. At our party, we asked guests to dress Hawaiian style -- I bought a bunch of loud colorful Hawaiian shirts at Goodwill and handed them out. Flowers behind the ear for the women, in addition to flower leis. Flowers and pineapples for decorations and centerpieces.

Have fun -- ALOHA!!!

Hawaiian/Maui Style Pizza, macadamia cookies, fruit kabobs and punch.

Decorations: volcanos, huts, palm trees, surf boards, leis.

Does anyone have any ideas for a church's 'Mother and Child' banquet table favors? Mothers can bring sons, too, so the favors need to fit both sexes and all ages. We'd like something that is eye-catching and economical that our committee can make. I'd love to get some ideas from you! Thank you.

Lois from PA

How about those neat suckers, the long suckers and even round suckers. Put in some molding clay in the center of the table, leave a number under someone's plate to win it.

Thanks for the wonderful idea for the table centerpieces! That will be considered when our committee meets. It sure would be less costly than flowers, probably even silk ones!

How about a "vase" made out of a small bottle of soap bubbles, the kind children blow in the backyard? You could tuck a silk flower in behind it and maybe cover with netting or inexpensive material gathered and secured with a piece of ribbon, shouldn't cost too much and you could tuck a placecard in if you are doing seatings like that.

Hannah

Thanks, Hannah. I love the idea! And won't the kids love it?

My church is having a chivalry dinner. The theme is "mystery man" and the colors are black and white. I am looking for party favors, preferably do it yourself. Anyone have any ideas?

By Sandy

I need ideas for table favors using this health theme, "God's Fitness Plan". Thanks in advance!

By B.T.

Does anyone have any frugal Thanksgiving church banquet ideas, please?

EGGZ from Santa Barbara, CA

For your centerpiece or to use as a serving bowl. You could take different size pumpkins cut and hollow them out real well. And on the outside of them slightly carve into the pumpkins outside into a picture on them of turkey or leaves.Do this by placing a piece a paper on the pumpkin with a cartoon type sketch on it of the object. Use push pin to poke the outline of the picture, then remove paper and just slightly carve out the outline of the diagram. This makes a very pretty picture and you can add silk leaves or fall flowers around its bottom base. And serve foods inside them like mashed potatoes, fruit salad, etc. It adds color to your fall thanksgiving theme.Even place your hot corn on the cobs around the base of it on a serving tray. You can also do this same idea with watermelons or cantaloupe. For my daughters shower I cut a watermelon into a baby carriage and put the baby's name on the outside and filled it with chuck type fruits, with all juice drained off.

Could a collection be taken up for a turkey, ham, or whatever and the rest be potluck? Most people have a special dish that they like to share with others at the holidays.

We have one every year. The church provides the turkeys, and everyone is asked to bring their fav side dish. We set the tables with tablecloths and use the pumpkins which are left from Halloween activities (have not been carved) in the center. We ask everyone to bring their own nice table settings or own holiday dishes to eat from, and it fun to see everyone's pretty dishes. That eliminates the need for expensive and wasteful paper goods!

I need a low cost centerpiece for 20 tables for a Ladies Day Out gathering at our church. The theme is "gentleness". I thought of kites (for the speaker's stage) and those toys that you blow to make turn (the gentle breeze). Can you give me some ideas how to put these or others ideas into a simple table decoration?

By Kathy from Ft Wayne, IN

You want a representation of gentleness in a center piece? If you have time find someone who does Origami and make tissue paper center pieces. Each centerpiece can be something unique. If you are within range of Peoria IL I can get you in touch with a young girl who does great Origami ( or did) and she used to make things for people at a very reasonable price.

The girl is only in her young teens and I know she is trying to save money to study abroad. So I have to mention her. But you may find someone in your area or you can try yourslef. Many Origami books between the library and a used bookstore.

I like the oparigami idea, and you're talking about Pinwheels! You could try a set of three or so (pick an odd number or match the number to the number of guests at each table) pinwheels in a small bucket of sand. Use crepe streamers along or around the tables (depending if the tables are rectangles or rounds.)

I am decorating a church Christmas banquet for 100 college and career aged people. I need some ideas, doesn't have to be traditional, I need something funky and within a small budget

Amy from Edmonton, AB

Decorate everything with RED. Bring ornamental things from home...Teddy Bears, dolls, (you're tying red bows on them all). Red sweaters...red anything...hang them around walls etc. Vases with cheap red bows on the tables...fill them with pine cones, nuts or anything green or festive from the ground or off trees. Good luck with it! Patsy

Michaels website has some great new ornaments!

www.michaels.com

Go to crafts Good Luck!! Here is a link for the one I was thinking of when I saw your post! Happy Birthday Jesus!

http://www.mich … sheet?pid=25123b

http://www.mich … tsheet?pid=25136

http://www.mich … sheet?pid=e03463

There are tons more at the site!

I am looking for ideas for a frugal small decoration for a banquet. The banquet is for a couple who have spent the last 16 years devoted to our senior (60 and up) group at church. We would like to do something nice, but not too expensive. Thank you.

Linda

I am in need of centerpiece for an event at my church. The theme is "consuming fire". I am thinking of something inexpensive. The only things I have come up with is flowers or candles, but no real creative ideas. Because we are on a budget it needs to be under $10.00 if possible. All ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
eventsonabudget

Answers:

Need Centerpiece Ideas

Church Dinner Centerpieces

thriftyfun.com

More Centerpiece Ideas
thriftyfun.com

Inexpensive Centerpieces: This is an old request for fall ideas, but there are some good ideas that would work for your function. One idea is to create gift baskets with modestly priced items that you then can raffle off at the end of the event.

thriftyfun.com (04/02/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Need Centerpiece Ideas

I like flowers, red, yellow, and orange. Then using either tissue paper or cellophane, cut and twist into flame-like tufts and tuck these among the flowers like flames. Baskets or basket covers of twigs would be great, and table favors could be kitchen-sized matchboxes decorated with any "theme" decoration-cover with paper in these colors and use stickers, stamps, or a computer generated logo. Matches are handy for picnics, barbecues, and bonfires. A homemade "firestarter" for a fireplace or bonfire would be a good favor, too. (04/02/2004)

By Linda

Need Centerpiece Ideas

I have two ideas for the lady needing the church centerpieces- consuming fire.

1. How about some fire trucks that come as party favors in the party section of a store?

2. If she was to stick with Biblical ideas, how about the burning bush of Moses or the fiery furnace of the men in the fire?
(04/05/2004)

By ThriftyFun