Cigarette Odors Coming from the Apartment Next Door

What kind of sealant, if there is one, can I use on particle board to keep cigarette smoke from coming through from the next apartment?

By JerseyJo from OH

Answers:

I had the same problem in my apartment. The smoke comes through the electrical outlets, the building's vents, under the entrance door from an outside hall and through the holes that plumbing goes through. I had to stuff rags around the plumbing (under sinks), put draft protectors in the outlets behind the plastic covers and put a draft protector in front of my entrance door. I hope this helps you and I am sorry you have to deal with this. (07/29/2009)

By Blessed Assurance

Maybe you have already tried this, but why don't you ask the landlord if he can politely suggest that the neighbors smoke outside? It really is in his best interest since they are smelling up his building, adding to fire hazard, making everything dingy, etc. Also, your neighbors will have a fresher place to call home. Your landlord does not want to lose any tenant, but he would probably rather lose the tenant that is bothering others with odors (unless he is a smoker of course; some smokers don't realize how bad they smell).

In my own apartment building, I can tell if someone smokes 3 floors below my upstairs bedroom, and this has awakened me from sleep. Fortunately, my current neighbors are courteous and smoke outdoors without me asking. Secondhand smoke is proven to cause cancer. You should not have to put up with it. I hope you figure out something that works. (07/30/2009)

By joycerella

Talk to your landlord and ask if there is anything he/she is willing to do to help you because that is definitely a health hazard to you.

I am also wondering if maybe you could call your local health department and see if there are any laws on the book about the situation. It very well could be that the landlord must remedy it even if he/she doesn't want to. (07/30/2009)

By Deeli

It's disgusting. I have a house and my neighbor's mother moved in, a chain smoker. She smokes outside -- which wafts into my bedroom or my garage, depending upon where she is. She's not going to stop; she's not allowed to smoke inside. That's not my problem; I'm tired of having to keep my doors and windows closed in order not to choke. Anyone know where I can get some targeted skunk spray? I figure if every time she smokes, I send it her way, maybe she'll go inside anyway.

Cigarette in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Odors from Microfiber Furniture
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
🎉
🎄