Clean Lint Trap To Improve Dryer Efficiency

Does your clothes dryer take longer than it should to dry your clothes when set on auto-dry? Ours would be running when we got up in the morning. It had run all night! Remove the lint filter, and take it to the sink. Wash it gently with soap and water. Rinse well. Problem solved!

By Grandma Jo from Louisville, KY

Answers:

The lint trap should be emptied after every load. A build up of lint is a fire hazard. (A lot of people use lint as a firestarter when camping!) You don't have to use soap and water each time. Once a year I actually open up the dryer where the lint trap and vent is and vacuum it out. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes! (11/05/2008)

By Toolgirl

I always make sure that our dryer isn't running when I go to bed, and if my husband is up later than I am, I always tell him to make sure that it is off before he goes to bed. (11/05/2008)

By Maryeileen

You can thank your lucky stars it did not burn your house down. When the bricklayers were bricking our house, some of guys were also firemen. They told us that, at their station, one of the firemen's wife had gone to town, leaving the dryer on. When she returned, their home had burnt down. She had not been cleaning the lint trap. They said you should never leave a dryer running when you can not check on it. Please do not go to bed and leave the dryer on. Something is wrong if a dryer runs all night. Get it checked out or buy a new one. Cheaper than losing a home or you life. (11/05/2008)

By Cindy in Texas

Don't check just the lint screen - check the whole thing all the way to the outside. We got our dryer and the venting new ten years ago. Recently my cats chasing one another bumped the hard pipe and knocked part of it down. I was amazed that the inside of the pipe was almost half dryer lint. We replaced all of it and now my dryer doesn't have to be on the nuclear setting to dry the clothes! (11/06/2008)

By Lynn