Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

Tips for clearing a stubborn or clogged drain. Post your ideas.

Answers:

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

To clear a clogged drain, try this simple technique before using a chemical product. Pour 1/2 cup of salt down the drain followed by boiling water. Continue to flush with very hot tap water. Until the clog breaks.

By Joesgirl (01/04/2005)

By ThriftyFun

For Clear Drains

For slow-running drains, shake a half a box of baking soda down the drain, then dump in one cup of vinegar. It will bubble and foam like crazy. When the foaming stops, flush the drain with very hot water for 2-3 minutes. Cheap and easy!

By Becki in Indiana (01/04/2005)

By ThriftyFun

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

Pour a cup of yogurt (no fruit please) down the drain and leave it for several hours. I read it here a while ago. It works, so now I have yogurt in my fridge for the drain (I can't eat it) and yeast for Mom's bread but also for the septic tank. (01/19/2005)

By Linne

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

Oh my gosh, I put three bottles of drain cleaner in my shower to fix a clog, did not work. I poured 1 cup of salt and 2 tea kettles full of hot water down it as a last resort. Next time I'm doing that first. Thanks for the great tip. (03/31/2007)

By sashough

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

This is THE BEST advise that I've EVER received! Works like a charm immediately! (11/27/2007)

By Was "Stuck in the muck";

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

I have a slow clogged bathtub for months. I have tried all kinds of chemical product even plunging. I read somewhere, (may have even been on this site) to try a wet/dry vac. The nozzle hose opening is too big to put in the drain. I took a smaller vac hose (plastic not metal) and put it inside the wet/dry vac hose. I sealed the gaps with my hand. In two minutes after using it, I check the inside container. Sure enough here inside floating was a small cap from a tube of conditioner (they kind you get with haircoloring) I cannot believe this worked! I was just about to call a plumber! Now my bathtub drains perfect. If this is where I did see this tip, thanks a million to whoever posted it. (12/09/2007)

By bonnie2008

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

My shower drain was running slow for a couple months but, just didn't have time to check into the problem. Finally, one night it just stopped draining. First I tried a whole 80 oz. size bottle of Liquid Plumber and a lot of plunging after allowing the 15 minutes to sit and do it's thing, and NOTHING! Then, I just went to Walmart and bought a 25 ft. snake. Put almost all of it through the hole where you have the drain plug knob because the drain in the bottom the tub had a built in plastic screen so it wouldn't fit through there.

To my amazement I pulled out a hamster sized ball of hair among other indescribable things that have apparently been building up for years. GROSS! It was so quick and easy! Best $10 bucks I ever spent! Better and cheaper than calling a plumber on a Sunday night! (02/17/2008)

By Heidi

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

OMG! Thank you all for the tip about the salt followed by boiling water. It's 11:00 pm, and yucky brown water would come into my bathtub when I would turn on my sink. I poured 1/2 cup of salt down my tub, and 1/2 cup down my sink. followed by boiling water in both and it worked! God bless you all for sharing the tip. It saved me from calling the plumber tomorrow. (05/15/2008)

By Dalila in Chicago, IL

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

It works, it works, it works! I have been dealing with a tough clog for almost 7 months now. Spent hundreds in drain cleaners and even tried the baking soda and vinegar (which did not work) plunged, and even have a snake caught in the over flow which I cannot get out, and nothing worked. So I figured what the heck, went to the cabinet and had about a 1/4 cup of salt left. Poured it in the drain and plunged it down in there. To my amazement the water is starting to go down slowly. Now I need to go buy more salt and finish the job. Thank you so much for posting such a wonderful tip. From one tired mother who is tired of bailing out water.. (08/29/2008)

By Debbie

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

I had to smile when I read about the person who found the plastic cap in their drain. I once had a toilet that wouldn't flush but wasn't clogged with anything. The water was clear. Turns out there was a little clear cover to a razor trapped down there. Had to take the stool off the wax ring to figure it out.

(10/25/2008)

By StrawberryRoan

Cleaning A Clogged Drain Tips

Our bathroom sink has been draining slow for several months. I tried the tip found here for using the wet/dry vac. It worked!! I first loosened some of the gunk from the top of the drain then vacuumed the rest, it pulled up the mess from the bottom of the pipe. Thanks for the tip! (11/01/2008)

By Elizabeth

Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain, Pulling Hair From Clogged Drain
Clearing a Clogged Bathtub Drain
Sink drain with water running into sink.
Clearing a Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
man with head inside front load washer
Clearing a Clogged Washer Drain
tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
🎉
🎄