Cleaning Lip Balm Stains From Clothing

A girl putting on lip balm.
Lip balm can leave an oily/greasy spot on clothing that is difficult to clean. This is a guide about cleaning lip balm stains from clothing.

How do I get beeswax-cocoa butter lip balm out of clothing? I put the clothing through the dryer already. It's been years since I've missed the pocket check! Will WD40 work on organic grease?

Stephanie from Anchorage, Alaska

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think that WD-40 is a good idea, because it could further stain your top.

Try blotting the spot with a solution of one tablespoon Dawn brand dishsoap to 1/2 cup of HOT water. Place the spotted area of the blouse on top of a WHITE facecloth or towel and apply the solution while still hot.

If this doesn't work the first time, try it again, but this time also cover it with a white towel or facecloth & run an iron over it a few times (if it is an ironable material).

Either way, the grease should melt into the white towel or facecloth and be almost invisible. Whatever remains on blouse or cloth can be easily removed in the washer on warm.

If none of these tips work, buy a degreaser.

I accidently washed and dried a load of laundry with lip balm, how do I get it out of my clothes?

Jessica from Placerville, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I have layered tissue paper over the spot and used a warm iron to remove most of the lipbalm spot and then laundered with Shout. As the balm soaks the paper I keep moving it to fresh areas of the paper.

I am going to try the Dawn with hot water after the initial iron/tissue paper this time.

.....Maybe I should stop keeping lipbalm in my pocket!