Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cleaning Tomato Stains from Plastic

Plastic Container

Tomato sauce and other tomato products will leave noticeable stains on plastic containers. This is a guide about cleaning tomato stains from plastic.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Cleaning Tomato Sauce Stains from Plastic

Ever use a rubber spatula on food items like spaghetti or tomato sauce and have the spatula get stained? Or ever use a plastic food container for leftovers which stained the container? I dreaded using my Pampered Chef white spatulas when I needed them for spaghetti. I also did not want to have my containers stained. Now when I have any type of food stains, I rinse and place the item outside when the sun is shining. Presto! After a few hours my items are stain-free and like new.

By mfeld from Twin Cities, MN

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Cleaning Tomato Stains from Plastic.

Question: Cleaning Tomato Stains Off Plastic

How do you get tomato stains out of white bowls?

By Michelle from Scipio, IN

Most Recent Answer

By Elaine02/15/2010

I use bleach also if the stain is there but to prevent the stain in the first place, if I am storing leftovers in fridge that is tomato based, I first spray the container with cooking spray to prevent it from seeping into the container.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Tomato Sauce Stains from Plastic Containers

Clean tomato sauce stains from your plastic containers using hot water filled to the top and plopping a couple denture tablets in.

By Rhonda

More Tips:
Removing Tomato Sauce Stains from Plastic 06/25/2004
Instead of buying cleaner for colored stains on plastic, like tomato sauce, etc. I submerge the item in really hot water for several seconds before I put on the soap and then I wash and rinse in hot water again. It comes out like magic!
By tiny bop
Bleach 09/15/2004
To remove tomato stains or any other stains from plastic containers use the following method:

Take about 1 cup of bleach & add 3 cups of water. Place this solution into the container that is discolored. Leave in place for about 2 hours. Rinse well with plain water being especially careful not to let the solution touch or splash on your clothes. Happy bleaching.

By joesgirl
Denture Tablets 11/07/2005
By Rhonda
Cooking Spray 11/07/2005
I don't know if this will work at all times, but try putting cooking spray in the container BEFORE putting your food in there. If you eat it all straight away, 99% of the time, it won't stain. However, if you keep it overnight, I think it will.
By KLS8800 (Guest Post)
RE: Cleaning Tomato Sauce Stains from Plastic Containers 11/07/2005
I mix baking soda and dish soap into a paste to clean my bowl. If the red isn't gone I set it in the sun and let it bleach out naturally.

Love & Prayers,
Linda

By lindaljh1
Pitted or Scarred Containers 11/08/2005
Just a warning... if the container is pitted or scarred throw it out! The chemicals in the plastic can leetch from the damaged plastic into your food and who knows what damage those chemicals can do to a person ... Rather to be safe than frugal?!?

That being said, a baking soda paste and a short "soak" works well on my plastics!

By Madelynnsmama

Archive: Cleaning Tomato Sauce Stains from Plastic

How do I get tomato sauce stains from plastics?

Archive: Cleaning Tomato Stains Off Plastic

I wonder if anyone knows how to get tomato stains off plastic. I cooked tomato rice in a plastic pot and know it is stained, any ideas how to remove it? Thanks, Wonderfulone from Hamilton

Lets say you made spaghetti in a white plastic bowl and has stains on it. (Left it in the fridge to because of the leftovers.) After you wash it and it still has the stains. Just sit it outside for a couple of days and let the sun hit it. The stain will be gone. Just rewash, because of dirt and debris. It does work. I just did it not too long ago.

By dietvanilla from Shoemakersville, PA

My Tupperware has an orange stain in it from eating things like Spaghetti Os and Chef Boyardee. Does anyone know how to get these stains out?

By Grace from Selinsgrove, PA

RE: Cleaning Tomato Stains Off Plastic

I have tried half water and half bleach and then wash it really good and that seems to get them off. (11/27/2009)

By farthead

RE: Cleaning Tomato Stains Off Plastic

I've had luck with dishwasher detergent. (11/30/2009)

By castleberrycc

RE: Cleaning Tomato Stains Off Plastic

Put them outside on a sunny day. Can't remember where I read about this hint, but was probably on this site. Worked wonders on my tomato sauce stained Tupperware in one day of sun in Northern Virginia. (12/01/2009)

By Kathryen