Cleaning Walls and Hard Surfaces After a Fire

My house had a small fire. The dryer caught on fire, and the pantry it was in had a little fire damage. The kitchen and bathroom have smoke, water, and black soot and a heavy black dust on them. What should I do? Should I gut the walls or can I scrub them clean and then prime and paint?

By Michael from Somerville, MA

Answers:

Cleaning Walls and Hard Surfaces After A Fire

You can scrub and then paint with Kilz paint, but you must make sure there is no soot in your duct work or it will just keep coming back. (11/06/2009)

By garyandpat

Professionals use TSP. (11/10/2009)

By muttmom

Get a gallon of Krud Kutter at Lowe's for about $11. Follow the directions [I had 2 large buckets, one with partially diluted Krud Kutter, the other clean water, and I used old face cloths to wash a wall covered in soot]. Start at the bottom of the wall and wash section of wall with soapy mix, wait 2-3 minutes, then rinse with clean water. Do not let any of the soapy mix fall on your wood floor, as it will remove the finish! (11/10/2009)

By JoanDogs

Microwave Fire
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
🎉
🎄