Cleaning a Dishwasher

Will CLR clean the hard water deposits in a dishwasher so that it cleans the dishes better?

By Kay from UT

Answers:

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I don't know about CLR in dishwasher. I'm sure it would clean, but not sure about safety for washing dishes. However, pouring a bottle of white vinegar in it and running it through the cycle helps and is food safe. (11/15/2010)

By slee15

Cleaning a Dishwasher

My dishwasher had the soap scales and would not clean dishes like it once would. It was only 5 years old. I would clean it with items as posted here, but it would return. I found out there is a strainer inside and at the bottom. I unscrewed the screen and opened the strainer retaining screw. The strainer was blocked with particles/scraps that would not permit the pump to pump water to the upper spray heads. I cleaned the debris and problem solved! This was an easy 5 screw do it yourself job on my model. (12/04/2010)

By thager

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Ironically, the cheapest, and by far, the most effective way to clean the dishwasher of built up mineral deposits, is to use citric acid. It's a food stuff, safe, and very effective. As for the cost, well, all you need do is to Google citric acid, and you'll find many sources. It's considerably stronger than vinegar, has no additives like Kool-Aid, or Tang, and as I mentioned earlier, it's far, far cheaper than those listed above. For example, I've ordered from Amazon and the "per ounce" price [with free shipping] came to about .39 cents an ounce, when buying a 5 lb tub. At 2 ounce per application, you do the math! There are many other suppliers on-line that offer the same product at very similar costs. There's really nothing cheaper, nor better than just plain citric acid. (02/22/2011)

By mecoguy

Dishwasher full of dishes.
Cleaning a Dishwasher
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎄