Can I Use Ammonia in My Dishwasher?

Category Dishes
Although not a typical product to use in the dishwasher, it apparently can be used when you are out of dishwasher detergent. This is a guide about, "Can I use ammonia in my dishwasher?".

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

Answers

Best Answer

Ammonia does not mix with all things, and I would be careful. For sure, NOT in the dishwasher. Any residue of commercial dishwasher det. would set off an unhealthy HAZMAT reaction.

I don't know about ammonia, but try this trick for super clean dishes. Use your regular dish washing detergent and add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup vinegar to each load. In Canada all phosphates have been removed from detergents and I found that the dishes always came out streaked and had buildup. Now with the added vinegar, never an issue.

Not to be rude or offensive.... But why would you wanna wash your dishes in ammonia in the first place?

Anonymous

I met a woman about 20 yrs ago who used this when she washed her dishes so I was curious. Thank you for your replies.