Can I Use Ammonia in My Dishwasher?

Category Dishes
Although not a typical product to use in the dishwasher, it apparently can be used when you are out of dishwasher detergent. This is a guide about, "Can I use ammonia in my dishwasher?".

Please can anyone tell me if I can use ammonia in my dishwater to wash my dishes and if so how much do I use?

By Anita from Saskatoon, SK

Answers

Best Answer

Ammonia does not mix with all things, and I would be careful. For sure, NOT in the dishwasher. Any residue of commercial dishwasher det. would set off an unhealthy HAZMAT reaction.

I need to know if I can add ammonia to the dishwasher cycle. The interior is stainless steel.

Answers

If you never, ever use or have used a product with bleach I the machine you can use 1/4 cup of household ammonia in a dishwasher to degrease dishes and on it's own to degrease the machine.

Bleach and ammonia used together create a poisonious reaction. beware and be careful.

A safer choice is a cup of vinegar.

Some people run an empty load with vinegar to clean it out. A repairman told me it wears out the rubber parts. I use detergent meant for the dishwasher