Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand-alone cleaner. Caution should be used when mixing ammonia with other chemicals as dangerous fumes can be created. This guide talks about the benefits and dangers of cleaning with ammonia.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1-year-old silver tabby had sprayed and peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! and it worked!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

Sudsy ammonia saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly. I haven't found anything yet that it doesn't work on, just DON'T mix ammonia with bleach, EVER! You can also put it in a glass bowl in your oven overnight and just wipe clean within 24 hours.

(Really messy ovens may take longer.) By Bea Editor's Note: Ammonia is the active ingredient in many bottled cleaners. Make sure you use it with ventilation. It is great for removing old wax from linoleum floors, too.

By Arlene (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I soak my old costume jewelry in ammonia for a few seconds or minutes and it comes out shiny bright and clean. Be sure to rinse in clear water after soaking.

By (Guest Post)
Top Comment

To clean my combs and hair brushes, I add a little amonia to hot water and let them soak a little while. Lifts the dirt quickly.

It's also great for cleaning blinds. I put them in the bath tub for soaking. One at the time with the ceiling fan on.

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

Answers

Best Answer

I use water with ammonia, it works, good luck.

Best Answer

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell).

It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

Answers

Best Answer

The warning about not mixing bleach and ammonia essentially refers to not mixing the two together at one time. If a year has passed since cleaning with ammonia, you should not have a problem using bleach now.

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

Answers

Best Answer

This exactly what I am doing just this minute! It is the only think I could find that would remove the finish and go back to the original floor. Used a mixture of water and ammonia and worked like a charm.

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

Answers

Best Answer

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

Answers

Best Answer

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

This is a guide about washing dishes with ammonia. Ammonia is simple but effective cleaner that can be a good addition to your dishwashing routine.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Ammonia has been used to clean a variety of items for many years. This guide contains instructions for making an all purpose cleaning solution with sudsy ammonia.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Although not a typical product to use in the dishwasher, it apparently can be used when you are out of dishwasher detergent. This is a guide about, "Can I use ammonia in my dishwasher?".

Placing dirty oven racks in a plastic trash bag with some household ammonia is an effective method for cleaning them. This is a guide about using ammonia for cleaning oven racks.

Ammonia is useful in cleaning the burned on food and grease off of your oven walls and racks. This is a guide about using ammonia as an oven cleaner.

Load More