Cleaning With Ammonia

Ammonia is a common cleaning agent found in many cleaners you buy at the store. It can also be purchased as a stand-alone cleaner. Caution should be used when mixing ammonia with other chemicals as dangerous fumes can be created. This guide talks about the benefits and dangers of cleaning with ammonia.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

I'd tried everything, including tips from this site and was about to give up and tear out the carpet where my 1-year-old silver tabby had sprayed and peed in the corner of my closet, on my brand new carpet. I thought I'd give it one more shot and poured nearly half a bottle of sudsy ammonia in that entire half of the closet! and it worked!

No more gagging smell, nothing! And best of all, Sparky has decided that he is done with spraying and peeing inside the house, and he will not even enter that closet at all now!

I placed a table fan blowing on the carpet to dry it and since it is commercial grade, rubber-backed carpet, the whole process took less than a day. I was quite fortunate to not have to go more drastic and replace the carpet squares, and the cat!

Sudsy ammonia saved the day for us! Hope this works for someone else, too.

By Terry from Homer, AK

Ammonia is wonderful for cleaning and cutting grease and is very inexpensive to use. Mix half and half with water in a spray bottle, spray, then watch the ammonia do the work, it's amazing how well it cuts grease so quickly. I haven't found anything yet that it doesn't work on, just DON'T mix ammonia with bleach, EVER! You can also put it in a glass bowl in your oven overnight and just wipe clean within 24 hours. (Really messy ovens may take longer.) By Bea Editor's Note: Ammonia is the active ingredient in many bottled cleaners. Make sure you use it with ventilation. It is great for removing old wax from linoleum floors, too.

Top Comment

I soak my old costume jewelry in ammonia for a few seconds or minutes and it comes out shiny bright and clean. Be sure to rinse in clear water after soaking.

Top Comment

To clean my combs and hair brushes, I add a little amonia to hot water and let them soak a little while. Lifts the dirt quickly.

It's also great for cleaning blinds. I put them in the bath tub for soaking. One at the time with the ceiling fan on.

Putting a bowl of straight ammonia in a corner of a room will clear the room of any bad odors, and you don't smell the ammonia.

To clean the toilet, I use ammonia. I use a brush to get it all over the toilet bowl. Then I let it stay there for a few hours, or overnight.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

I recently read a tip about mixing ammonia and something else, maybe vinegar, in a spray bottle to touch up soiled areas on the kitchen floor without doing the entire floor. I can't recall what the other ingredient was nor what the mixing proportions are. Does anyone know? Thanks.

By Cindyh from IN

Answers

Best Answer

I use water with ammonia, it works, good luck.

Best Answer

I think the other ingredient is Dawn blue dish soap.

My husband and I have purchased a house that was condemned and are working on getting it back up in running condition. I am horribly allergic to mold and dust so, I cleaned the basement from top to bottom with ammonia to kill any mold that might be lurking under the surface. It worked but, now being an older basement its starting to smell of mold/mildew/damp (inevitable I guess), but I was wondering how long I need to wait before I can clean the floors with bleach? I'm very nervous about the 2 cleaning agents mixing, but I have to get the smell out (and what's causing the smell). It has been close to a year since the ammonia cleaning.

Answers

Best Answer

The warning about not mixing bleach and ammonia essentially refers to not mixing the two together at one time. If a year has passed since cleaning with ammonia, you should not have a problem using bleach now.

Can I use an ammonia solution to clean my hardwood floors?

By Paul from Syracuse, NY

Answers

Best Answer

This exactly what I am doing just this minute! It is the only think I could find that would remove the finish and go back to the original floor. Used a mixture of water and ammonia and worked like a charm.

What type of ammonia can be used for stain removal on clothes?

Answers

Best Answer

Be very careful cleaning with ammonia. It can burn the respiratory track very easily when inhaled, and cause permanent eye damage. Mixing bleach with ammonia is deadly. Very deadly. I have run a call in the ambulance on a woman who did this. She died as a result several weeks later.

Just use regular ammonia like they have in the cleaning aisle at the store. Only mix it with water, as other cleaners may contain chlorine or alcohol or vinegar and that is NOT good. Ammonia can also remove the color out of some clothing if used straight, so dilute it first. Rinse well after use.

Can I use ammonia in a steam cleaner that gets very hot, with no water added?

By Maryann

Answers

Best Answer

You can use ammonia on your carpet without it changing the color of your carpet. I use it all the time and it actually makes my carpet soft. Also it does not leave behind an odor. But if you cannot stand the smell during the cleaning, mix it with a more pleasant smelling cleaner. I mix my mop water, cleaning solution etc, with Mr. Clean original Gain scent. It helps out so much.

But I definitely would not recommend using it undiluted in a steam cleaner - definitely mix with water.

I have grey floor tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. They are looking dull. Is ammonia good to clean floor tiles?

By Del

Answers

Best Answer

What kind of material are we talking about? ceramic, vinyl, or ?

Is there grout? If vinyl, just soap and water. If ceramic, also just a little laundry soap and water. Use old towel to wipe up dampness. Let dry and see how it looks. If grout is greying, scrub with a brush and a bit of baking soda, wipe with damp rag.

I am trying to get information on the occupational exposure limit to the usage of the ammonia agent in a hospital setting. I am concerned at the rate of sub-standard products used in my institution and in turn these affect our staff adversely. There is a 'pine gel solution used with unspecified level of ammonia in it. Most staff are complaining about its health effects on them especially those with asthma and other chest ailments.

By Tebogo C.

Answers

You are asking for legal answers that laypeople like members of Thrifty Fun will not be able to answer.

Step 1
it seems you are concerned about the long term effects of using these ammonia based cleaners as cleaning products as well as being in the area they are used.

Step 2
It is well know fact that immediate/temporary effects can sometimes be associated with these cleaners but only a health care association can explain about long-term effects.

Step 3
You also seem to asking about one or two particular products so there is no way for us to obtain such information.

Step 4
Here are some agencies that may be able to help answer your questions.

Step 5
Call the following numbers, or visit the websites listed among the "Sources."

Step 6
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Public Response Hotline (1-888-246-2675)

Step 7
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (1-888-422-8737)

Step 8
Regional Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222)

This seems to be big concern to you so please try some of the agencies and see what information they have.

Hello !

Maybe you will find the information you need at this net address: https://www.ats  p?id=9&tid=2
or: https://www.hea  ammonia_tech.htm

You can check also on the internet site of the World Health Organization the available information about ammonia toxicity.
http://search.w  etfields=doctype

Hope this helps!

I would like to mix ammonia and water for general cleaning in the kitchen, such as table, counter tops, and stove top. What ratio should I use for this mixture?

By Allison H.

Answers

A word of caution about using ammonia. Ammonia is a powerful chemical, so take caution when using it for your own safety. Always use in a well ventilated area - use gloves to protect your hands - do not breath the fumes (wearing a mask is recommended).

• Here are some recommended measurements but for just general everyday cleaning I would use a 1 to 4 ratio (1 part ammonia/4 parts water) or even a 1 to 5 ratio may be sufficient.
  • Make a cleaning solution by mixing roughly one part ammonia to two parts water and adding it to a spray bottle. In a 25 oz. spray bottle pour between 5 to 10 oz. of ammonia and fill the bottle with water. For a larger amount mix 1/4 cup of ammonia per gallon of water.
  • Cleanser is handy in the bathroom. Use it to remove soap scum buildup and hard water stains from porcelain sinks, tubs, and wall tiles.
  • Use it to remove soap and water spots from mirrors and glass shower doors, and dingy metal fixtures.
  • The cleanser does not need to be rinsed, but it is still a good idea just to remove the lingering odors or chemical traces.

I personally do not use ammonia for cleaning in these areas (mainly because of the fumes). Hydrogen peroxide or white vinegar do a great job (these can be used straight strength) but - different strokes for different people and this is a good cleaner.

http://www.rach … is-ammonia-safe/

Will household ammonia kill mould on anything?

By Dave C

Answers

Ammonia is a good product for killing mold but will it kill mold on anything? That answer is no. Ammonia will not kill mold spores on porous materials (such as ceiling tiles).

• Ammonia can be used for killing mold in certain areas but it can be dangerous and the area has to be well ventilated and care taken when using this product.
  • Its a good disinfectant and does a pretty good job of killing mold on hard, non-porous items.
  • In order to effectively kill mold, you have to get to it at the root level. And, chlorinated bleach and ammonia are not up to the task. There are many other mold cleaning agents that will kill the fungi effectively and at the root level.
  • Baking soda and vinegar are excellent non-toxic alternatives to ammonia. And, they are not harsh on the environment or you.
  • Remember! Ammonia is a skin and eye irritant and its fumes are quite toxic. This mold killing agent is poisonous and could prove lethal when ingested or its fumes are inhaled.
  • Combine ammonia and water in 50/50 proportions. Pour solution into a spray bottle and spray contaminated areas evenly. Allow the mold killing solution to sit for 5 or 10 minutes. Scour mold tarnished area with a small brush or equivalent and wipe clean. Repeat if necessary.

Very important: Never mix ammonia with chlorinated bleach

Here is a link to additional information on using ammonia.

https://www.how … -mold/#tab-con-1

Ammonia has been used to clean a variety of items for many years. This guide contains instructions for making an all purpose cleaning solution with sudsy ammonia.

A spray bottle with a homemade cleaner.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Although not a typical product to use in the dishwasher, it apparently can be used when you are out of dishwasher detergent. This is a guide about, "Can I use ammonia in my dishwasher?".

Dishwasher

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes