Using Ammonia for Carpet Cleaning

Category Carpet
This is a guide about using ammonia for carpet cleaning. Ammonia can be a great alternative to soap when cleaning carpets and doesn't require rinsing afterwards. However, it is very important that you do a test on your carpet, in an inconspicuous spot first.

Keep carpet cleaning simple. I have a small steam vacuum. I have always had trouble rinsing out soap residue on carpet areas even when using very little soap in the cleaner. Recently I tried adding a little ammonia to the water instead of soap. I found that it did a terrific job cleaning, produced no ammonia odor, dried very quickly, and required no rinsing. All of which made my job much easier. I would highly recommend this procedure.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Anonymous
Top Comment

Ammonia is also great for removing stains from clothing! As always, try in an inconspicuous area first.

By Sherry from Durham, NC

I have a dark carpet and want to use ammonia to clean it. Wll this discolor my carpet?

By Mary

Answers

Not sure about all carpets, but if it has wool in it, it will discolor it for sure. Been there, done that in a rental house.

Try in an inconspicuous spot first. If you lose color, don't continue.

I steam cleaned someone's carpet using a mixture of lemon ammonia and Lemon Pine Sol. No water as I rinse the carpet after cleaning. I sprayed stains with the straight ammonia. The stains came out, but this person says the apartment smells like cat urine and thinks I transferred this smell using my steam cleaner.

I have done bad carpets before, the smell of the cat urine never was so strong that it got in the brushes of the steam cleaner and stayed there. It was the dirty water that always smelled, I smelled my brushes and they don't smell like cat urine.

My cat had two accidents and they were in my apartment which I cleaned up with a rag not my steam cleaner. I didn't rinse the carpet afterwards and couldn't open up the windows to air the room out so it did smell like ammonia, but to be mistaken for cat urine when there was no cat near her home is unbelievable. What can I say to make this person believe me that it is just the smell of ammonia, not cat urine. Please help?

Answers

Get a product called Nok-Out and apply to her carpet. The smell will go away.

Can you use sudsy ammonia to clean a wool carpet?

By Shirley