Using Ammonia for Carpet Stains

Category Carpet
This is a guide about using ammonia carpet stains. Ammonia can be quite effective on carpet stains, from food stains to pet stains. If you are having trouble with a stubborn stain, give it a try.

I used to be a housekeeper for an apartment complex years ago, and when we had to get rid of any type of hard to get out food or pet stains we would make a 2/3 milk 1/3 ammonia mixture. Use right away and dispose of the rest. Pour it on the stain, let it soak in for about 30 seconds, wear rubber gloves, and the stains will come out! Remember to have a fan blowing or a ceiling fan speed on high. This will help with the little bit of ammonia fumes that may give you a headache or cause your eyes to water a little bit. And it will, it's ammonia!

By Leticia from Pearland, Texas

Anonymous
Top Comment

My only reservation about using any amount of ammonia, especially on carpeting with padding, is if someone has cats. The ammonia smell often attracts them as if that's their kitty box or need to mark their territory spots. :-(

Top Comment

Rubbing alcohol will take out stains also. Pour it on the stain and blot. Repeat if necessary.

My carpet is really dirty. It is supposed to be cream colored, but it is more like brownish-cream. I have a home carpet cleaner and have used it, but my carpet still looks dirty. I want to try an ammonia solution, but I am not sure? I need some more suggestions to clean the whole carpet.

Kapas from ID

Answers:

Using Ammonia to Clean Stains from Carpet

No, if I were you that is the wrong thing to use. It will leave a urine smell unless you get it all out. Here is a good thought. Sears, etc. has really good specials this time of year. No, I am not an employee. They will do several rooms for around $75.00 or less and they have a great water extractor system.

It would be a good idea to have a pro do it and then ask them for their advice on home touch-up in between their visits. You might not ever need them after that. Good luck. (12/13/2007)

By MaryBelle

Ammonia may also change the color of your carpet. I wouldn't use it if I were you. Purchase a product that is especially made for carpets. You should be able to get this at any hardware store, but if not, try a place that rents out carpet cleaners. They should sell you the product that they use in their machines. (12/13/2007)

By Louise B.

I found this tip on another site and thought it would be worth trying as vinegar is good for so many things. Bring out the color in carpet by brushing it with a solution of 1 cup white distilled vinegar for every gallon of water. Always test on an inconspicuous (out-of-sight) part of the carpet beforehand. (12/16/2007)

By Linda

Using ammonia to clean stains is a last resort, but I do have a formula it is 2 steps: 1 tbsp. ammonia to 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. colorless dish washing liquid to 1 cup lukewarm water. You will smell the ammonia so I would add a step and use Fabreeze with hot water.

I have found that using 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 hot water takes out most stains plus the vinegar smell goes away when dried. For shampooers use: 1 scoop Oxiclean, 1 cup Fabreeze, 1 cup vinegar and the recommended hot water. Will do a great job. (02/08/2008)

By Trish

Any kind of shaving cream. I use the cheap stuff to clean my carpets and also my running shoes. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it wont effect the color of the carpet. (08/27/2008)

By Michele

Anonymous
Top Comment

I make a great general purpose cleaner with ammonia. Put one tbsp (20ml) of ammonia and the same of dishwashing liquid...any dishwashing liquid. I can be the cheapest you can find. Put them in a container and top up to 500mls with water in a spray container. It will clean anything. Benchtops, cooking areas, upholstery, carpets, floors. I make a bottle of undiluted mixture. half a litre of dishwashing to half a litre of ammonia and add 40 ml (2 Tbsp) of that to the 500ml bottle.

I squirt it neat into my mopping bucket to do the floors and I also clean my bathrooms with it. I have a spray bottle in the kitchen, one in the laundry and one in each bathroom. You can add a bit of eucalyptus oil to make it smell clean. It beats anything in the shop hands down. It's great in the shower but it will take your breath away. In the shower I use half and half dishwashing liquid and vinegar. It's incredible. :)

I recently used 1/2 cup ammonia and 1/2 cup water mixed to clean up my dog's red vomit. I heard of it through a friend that had used it before. After I sprayed it on, I ironed it and the stain came right out.

Now I'm worried the next time I have my carpets cleaned it will discolor the carpet. Will ammonia discolor immediately or will it happen over time and especially after a deep cleaning? Please help.

By Stacey from Fort Wayne, IN

Answers:

I read if you have pets to never use ammonia to clean up pet messes (especially for cats) because the ammonia smells like urine (because urine turns to ammonia) and the smell confuses the animal and makes them want to pee there. *YIKES!*

Next time your dog vomits, first try an Enzyme based cleaner like "OUT!" (Walmart $4.79 in the pet care area) or Hydrogen Peroxide (just pour or spray either of them on, then wait 20 min and repeat if necessary). Simply amazing (both of them)!

You know, I doubt it will discolor your carpet if it hasn't already happened. But it depends on what your carpet is made from, is it wool or synthetic? Berber or pile (berber has the color all the way through the fiber)?

To be extra sure your carpet won't fade or change color, the next time you clean your carpet, don't use the traditional "Steam Clean" method. Use a better "Dry-cleaning" method. This way no mold will form from the wetness in the under-pad. You won't believe how wonderfully clean your carpets will look!

ALL ABOUT RUG DRY-CLEANING: Read my tip here:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64314351.tip.html

Go to the below URL and read hint # 6 on my post (by Cyinda)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94067887.tip.html

PS. My daughter melted her carpet by trying to iron something on it. So all of you out there be careful! Synthetic carpeting melts! (08/13/2009)

By Cyinda