Using Ammonia to Clean Stains from Carpet

I recently used 1/2 cup ammonia and 1/2 cup water mixed to clean up my dog's red vomit. I heard of it through a friend that had used it before. After I sprayed it on, I ironed it and the stain came right out.

Now I'm worried the next time I have my carpets cleaned it will discolor the carpet. Will ammonia discolor immediately or will it happen over time and especially after a deep cleaning? Please help.

By oh no! from Fort Wayne, IN

Answers:

I read if you have pets to never use ammonia to clean up pet messes (especially for cats) because the ammonia smells like urine (because urine turns to ammonia) and the smell confuses the animal and makes them want to pee there. *YIKES!*

Next time your dog vomits, first try an Enzyme based cleaner like "OUT!" (Walmart $4.79 in the pet care area) or Hydrogen Peroxide (just pour or spray either of them on, then wait 20 min and repeat if necessary). Simply amazing (both of them)!

You know, I doubt it will discolor your carpet if it hasn't already happened. But it depends on what your carpet is made from, is it wool or synthetic? Berber or pile (berber has the color all the way through the fiber)?

To be extra sure your carpet won't fade or change color, the next time you clean your carpet, don't use the traditional "Steam Clean" method. Use a better "Dry-cleaning" method. This way no mold will form from the wetness in the under-pad. You won't believe how wonderfully clean your carpets will look!

ALL ABOUT RUG DRY-CLEANING: Read my tip here:

https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64314351.tip.html

Go to the below URL and read hint # 6 on my post (by Cyinda)

https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf94067887.tip.html

PS. My daughter melted her carpet by trying to iron something on it. So all of you out there be careful! Synthetic carpeting melts! (08/13/2009)

By Cyinda