Clean Windows With Joy Dishsoap and Ammonia

Category Windows
A little dish washing liquid added to water and ammonia works well to clean and leave you with streak free windows. This is a guide about clean windows with Joy dishsoap and ammonia.

Ever wonder how window washers get those skyscrapers so clean and shiny? My son used to be a window washer, here is how they do it! Take a bucket of warm water, add JOY dish soap (only use Joy), and a drop of ammonia if the weather is cold. Apply then squeegee off. Great for windows, mirrors, and bathtub tiles!

Source: My son, now the plumber!

By Irishwitch from Aurora, CO

Top Comment

To clean windows & mirrors, I use a bit of dishwashing soap (whatever I happen to be using at the time - I've never used Joy) and vinegar mixed in a pail of hot water. I've been using this for years and have always been happy with the result. I use the same mixture (with just warm water) for cleaning my china and crystal, and it makes them really sparkle.

To really clean windows and mirrors, fix a solution of 2 quarts water with a squirt of Joy dishwashing detergent, and 1/3 cup blue Parsons, non-streaking ammonia. Wash your window with a washrag and then use a squeegee. Clean your edges with a soft dishtowel.

By Mudger from Guntersville, Al

Answers:

Cleaning Windows Recipe

Thanks so much for reminding me of a similar recipe from Consumer Reports for glass. It saves a fortune in chemical costs! I prefer to use newspaper for drying, and it all works WELL unless you happen to have been tricked into using other chemicals that "etched or clouded" your glass as I did on one window, and totally ruined it, just like bad detergent in the dishwasher ! Isn't it FUN to learn how to make things that work as well as store-bought and CHEAPER? God bless you. (09/14/2006)

By Lynda