Removing Hard Water Spots on Windows

Category Windows
Sometimes the water from the sink or a sprinkler can make stubborn water spots on your windows. This guide is about removing hard water spots.

My husband read so many solutions on removing hard water spots on windows, but nothing ever worked for him. The windshield on our motor home was so stained from the water that would run down it, that we tried everything on the market just like so many others. We bought so many products from acid wash, scrub with SOS, to Comet.

I always use Scrubbing Bubbles for everything in my house. I told my husband for so long to try Scrubbing Bubbles but he always told me, "No that isn't going to work", until one day when he was frantic, he did try Scrubbing Bubbles along with extra fine steel wool. He couldn't believe his eyes. The glass is crystal clear and just like new. Now he won't use anything else just like I won't use any other product except for Scrubbing Bubbles inside.

So every one who is at their worst with hard water spots please use this product. It really does work. I know this sounds like a infomercial, just try for yourself.

Scrubbing Bubbles Fan!

By FRANZ from San Bernardino

I have had very hard water spots on my windows from the irrigation system for a year. I just tried Colgate Toothpaste as suggested by Chris on ThriftyFun. My windows are now perfectly clear and it was so easy! I put a little Colgate Toothpaste on a damp paper towel, rubbed it on the glass in circular motions, then I rinsed with vinegar water (anything that would clean the paste off should work). and dried thoroughly. The glass is sparkling!

By Mary

Use shower cleaner, a green scrubbie pad, and water.

I was having trouble getting water spots off my windows until my neighbor suggested using alcohol. I used 91% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore that I already had in the house and paper towels.

I didn't even have to scrub. The spots came off like magic.

Bar Keepers Friend and a soft scrub sponge works best for me. It removes all shower spots and window spots from sprinklers. Window on right had the whole lower half with spots.

To remove hard water spots from glass, you need glass cooktop cleaner, a non-scratch scrubbing sponge, a wet rag, and a microfiber towel.

My car windows were covered in hard water spots after mistakenly parking near a sprinkler at work on a hot summer day. I have washed my car three times and paid close attention to the windows, but had no luck getting the spots off.

Today I decided to see what I could do with household products.

I water my lawn with very hard water in a very windy area. There is almost no way to keep the water off my windows every time I water. In the past, I had used ammonia to wash the windows and vinegar to get rid of the hard water stains.

All my windows have spots on them and that makes it difficult to see. I have deep, deep water. I have tried many cleaners. Please help.

By Dennis

Answers

Best Answer

I use a squeegee to clean my windows, no water left on them to spot. Would that solve your problem? I just use Dawn or Mr. Clean in the water, and clean the outside windows with a long handled squeegee, such as you use for washing car windows. I have one with an expandable handle to reach my windows that are on the upper level.

Best Answer

If you can take the windows off the track and get them on a level surface, then use the thick Lime Away on the windows, letting it sit for about 10 minutes, not touching the aluminum sides, then this should take care of your problem. You may also need to use a green scrubber, like what some use for pots and pans. Please try to protect your hands while using this and try not to breathe any fumes from this product.

Best Answer

A scratchy and a rag with clear vinegar will do the trick.

Best Answer

If you have hard water spots on your windows they will be hard to clean. Lime away does work but I don't like the harsh chemical. Spray your window with a window cleaner and use a scraper with a blade (the kind you use to remove paint on a window) to scrape over the hard water spots.

Be careful to keep the blade flat and not scratch the window. Wipe the window and spray any spots you missed and scrape these away. If you have a huge build up, ammonia water works better than window cleaner but then again, you are dealing with harsh smelly chemical.

Anonymous
Best Answer

DO NOT use a scraper blade on double glazed windows as the glass is softened as it heated in manufacturing and the blade will scratch the glass - trust me I did it

I have four 10'X6' windows (all glass) and about 15 smaller windows of different sizes that get sprayed by water containing calcium, and various other minerals that will not wash off with soap or other washer solutions. I presently use dish soap and hot water and a bit of CLR added. I have used an ammonia solution, vinegar, and rubbing alcohol. Nothing really phases the stains even though the windows get clean, they still show those hard water stains.

We use ditch water to irrigate the lawn by a sprinkler system. Help! I also used automotive products and the products that you are supposed to put on and hose off. They definitely made no difference other than to clean.

By Lula C. from Cimarron, CO

Answers

Best Answer

I just got done cleaning 2 small windows. Like many of you, they had years of calcium water spots on them. You could barely see through them. I used the Barkeeper's friend and it worked. I made it into a paste on a small scrubber that you would use for pots and pans (non-abrasive). I finished it off with WD 40 and now the windows are shiny and look like new. It was a fluke that I tried it but I had tried everything else that was on the internet... I was at my wit's end. I tried all of the other suggestions and this one worked!

I've tried to clean my house windows with cleaners such as Windex, Bon Ami, vinegar, Colgate toothpaste, Cascade, Dawn, and baking soda. They are stained with water spots and grime. We live on the golf course and I don't know what all they spray on the fairway, etc., but I can't get my windows clean. Please help!

By Bill Coon from Fontana, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Try a Magic Eraser on one, and you may be able to get the build-up off. You will probably need to follow up with Windex or another glass cleaner, but hopefully they will do the trick.

I had washed my car in the afternoon and the water drops dried. I was unable to remove the stains. So how can I remove the stains? My car is a Maruti Suzuki swift.

By rajkamal

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry, plain vinegar DOES NOT WORK, I'm a professional window washer, for 15 years, deep water spots won't go away, only if it is on the surface and is new, then Lime Away and a paint scraper will work.

How do I remove hard water spots from glass?

By Barbara G.

Answers

Best Answer

Vinegar or CLR.

How do I get water spots off the outside of a picture window?

By Debbie

Answers

Best Answer

Are they water spots caused by hard water, such as that from a sprinkler, hitting your window? If so, vinegar should remove them. Do not dilute when you use it. I would put it in sprayer, and spray on full strength.

I have frosted glass by the side of my front door, it is the length of the door. The problem I am having is I can't get the water stains off of it. I've tried several glass cleaners but it always looks the same. Its outside so it gets wet quite often. Is there anything I can use to get those stains off? Please help.

By Dawn from Spokane, WA

Answers

Best Answer

Use the vinegar. I'd use a scrubby sponge though. Then after you get it clean, use a lemon oil furniture polish with a terry wash cloth to apply to the glass where the water hits it. You'll most likely have to re-apply every couple of weeks but it sure helps on our glass shower doors.

I'm not sure what they are called, but I'll say I have windshield streaks. They are lines going straight down all across. This happened during the winter. Anyone know what this is, or how to remove them?

By Jack

Answers

Best Answer

"Full strength" white vinegar and a newspaper (not a paper towel) - wadded up newspaper does a better job.

How do I remove hard water spots on vehicle windows, that have been driven and exposed to all sorts of elements? Besides hard water stains, there are other unknown spots. Thank you.

Carol

Answers

Vinegar. I use it in my dishwasher and on my stainless steal sink. What a difference!

All different answers here! Sadly, none of them worked for me. I have Marvin Windows which rot, but that is another story. Can't use even a green scrubber pad on these awful Marvin windows as the teeniest, tiny abrasive scratches them forever.

Step 1
But the list inspired me.

Step 2
After trying most of the remedies with absolutely no results...I even tried hydrogen peroxide.

Step 3
Then I had a ureka moment. Maybe lime could be the antidote to hard or mineral water stains. After all, it's in one of those cleaning products you pay for that contains mostly water.

Step 4
I have a 40 pound bag of powdered lime in the garage. You know the kind you put on your garden? It cost about $4 last spring at that big store everyone complains about but frequents due to the prices.

Step 5
I put some powdered lime in a mason jar with a little water and stirred with a chopstick to make a paste. You can stir with whatever you want, but this is a good excuse to get Chinese food!

Step 6
The paste tends to harden up after a while, but just add more water. I rubbed it around on a small area of spotting. It doesn't have to go on thick, the paste is just a method for getting the lime to stick on the window.

Step 7
It was about time for my mid morning coffee break so I did that.

Step 8
When I came back, I used a soft rag to buff off the dried lime. To my shock and amazement, the glass was spot free and shinny as a new penny! And, no window scratches! The area I hadn't treated stood out with nasty spots.

Step 9
Here are a few things you might want to know.

Step 10
I used disposable gloves when handling the lime and paste, and even the buffing. Be careful to avoid inhaling the lime before you put water on it.

Step 11
Don't use pelletized lime unless it makes a paste, if you spread particles from the pellets on your windows, you may scratch them.

Step 12
I used damp paper towels to spread the paste. The lime will harden on the towel very quickly. I just dumped it back in the jar. Don't put the paper towels in the trash, put them in your compost or bury them in your garden. If you use rags to buff...you can use paper towels for this as well..wash the rags at an outside faucet. I am not sure what lime does to the benificial microbes if you have a septic system.

Step 13
It works much better if you apply the paste and let it sit a while. If some of the spots don't come off on the first go, try again. I did that and it worked. Maybe I didn't get enough lime on them the first time.

Step 14
I would be thrilled to hear how it works for others as this is the first time I have posted on a site like this. Good luck!

Load More