Removing Hard Water Deposits from Faucets

Category Metal
The minerals in your tap water can leave unsightly hard water spots on your kitchen and bathroom faucets. This is a guide about removing hard water deposits from faucets.

I saw this tip in a video on the internet and had a chance to try it out on an old faucet that had years of calcium buildup on it.

To remove calcium deposits on a faucet, wrap a cloth or small towel, that is soaked with white vinegar, around the faucet and let it sit for several hours. It will remove most of the calcium deposit. Afterwards, scrub with steel wool or a scrubbing pad to remove any that remains.

In this case, I wrapped the vinegar soaked towel around the faucet and poured more vinegar on the towel and let it sit over night. I was surprised at the results when I removed the towel.

I didn't have time to do any scrubbing with steel wool, but you can tell the difference just by looking at the photos that the white vinegar removed most of the calcium deposit.

I really didn't think it was going to work and I was so amazed at the results that I didn't think to take a picture of the towel on the faucet.

My kitchen chrome faucet is stained with white marks, like drips or something. The metal polish cleans the chrome, but does not remove the spots. I tried baking soda, vinegar, and steel wool. No luck. Can someone help?

By sue from Deptford, NJ

Answers

I think these would be hard water deposits. Have you used vinegar by itself? Try it. It should just dissolve these stains. No scrubbing should be necessary. You may have to soak a paper towel in vinegar and wrap it around the faucet and let it soak the deposits for a few minutes.

Try Lemi Shine or powedered Lemon aid. The Lemi Shine is straight citric acid and for some reason works great on hard water spots. The lemon aid works ok too, but it's not as strong.

Today I used NOXON 7 to remove hard water/soap scum deposits from high-end Grohe polished brass bathroom fixtures. Works like as charm!! We have extremely hard water with iron/sulphur content. The water softener has not eliminated the spots on shower fixtures.

I tried everything advertised, along with home remedy solutions. NOXON 7 was the ONLY product to removes the spots, and leave the brass finish gleaming! Minimal effort, easy to use, affordable.

A washcloth and WD-40 works very well. Remove the WD-40 with Formula 409 and add a light coat of car wax.

Anonymous

I tried backing soda and vinegar to remove water stains on stainless steal sink. They didn't work. I tried lemon juice and it did the trick.

Anonymous

A poster below suggested using a magic eraser to remove hard water spots. I just tried it on my axor hansgrohe shower fixtures and the magic eraser easily removed spots. It works!

Did NOT work at all. I scrubbed and scrubbed with it. Nada. :(

I had too turn on a room fan since the air was so thick with vinegar.Sorry friends. It did not remove or even effect the water spots. Bummer. I tried vinegar mixed with cornstarch (so it sticks to the surface, heated in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirred a few times.

Put 2 tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing soap in a spray bottle and add the thickened mix. Swirl to mis it up and spray and let it sit for 10-30 minutes. I tried it in my shower and it worked with elbow grease but in my tub and on my fixtures, didn't do much. :(

I tried WD-40 and it did not work!!

To remove vinegar deposits that accumulate on faucets from hard water, fill a bag with vinegar and tie the bag to the faucet. Allow the faucet to soak in the vinegar for a couple of hours. When you remove the bag, the deposits should be gone. Repeat if necessary.

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Be sure you don't leave it on too long; I did and the vinegar put holes in my faucet!

TerryfromChilliOH

By terry

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

In TX, we have really hard water. Suave shampoo, clear in color, and a green scrub pad works and also Barkeeper's Friend works well too. Both of these work in showers and on glass shower doors.

By suzi homemaker

How do you get hard water stains off a faucet?

By Kathy from Fullerton, NE

Answers:

Try soaking a rag or paper towel in just vinegar, and cover the hard water deposits with it. I usually wrap it around the faucet base where I find the deposits. Let set for 2-3 hrs, rewetting with vinegar if needed. Then clean as usual. Works for me. (05/20/2010)

By jean leiner

Does anyone know how to remove calcium water marks on polished brass shower doors and faucets? I don't want to ruin the finish, as I am sure you can understand. They have so many little spots on them because people would not wipe them dry after showering. Thanks so much.

By Tilly007 from Carlisle, PA

Answers:

I don't know about brass, but we use cider vinegar to clean our stainless steel sink surround. Maybe malt vinegar would work equally well. (03/14/2010)

By 0ddjob

Have you seen CLR on the store shelves? It stands for calcium, lime, and rust. I use this sometimes. Vinegar will work for most faucet stains, also. (03/15/2010)

By Marty Dick

Just put a paper towel or washrag on the offending faucet and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit a while and it should begin to loosen and come off. May take a couple of tries. (03/18/2010)

By Linda

You can use a metal cleaner approved for polished brass. Brasso or Flitz. You may get some protection against buildup with these products. (03/18/2010)

By Lizzyanny

For hard water spots vinegar is often recommended because it works. I've taken this a step further. I mix 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch to about a 1/4 cup of water. I then add about 1/2 cup of vinegar and bring just to a boil.

While still hot, I pour this mixture into a wide mouthed mason jar. This will thicken and will stay put on faucets much longer than just vinegar water, which runs right off.

Saddlebag from Vermilion Bay, ON

Answers:

Removing Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Fine steel wool (Home Depot) cleans off the calcium and shines the faucet. (05/04/2009)

By Joy

Stubborn hard-water stain on my chrome faucets. Any ideas? I tried a rag soaked heavily in white vinegar for hours, no effect at all.