How to Fix Sterling Silver Tarnished by Bleach

Category Metal
Silver can become tarnished in many different ways, but tarnish resulting from bleach is sure to require some thorough cleaning. Here are some ideas about how to fix sterling silver tarnished by bleach.

I accidentally left my sterling silver and some plated, in bleach to clean them. I forgot to get them out. After more than an hour, I went to get them and they are very tarnished. What do I need to do to restore them back to their beautiful state again?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a simple solution to clean your tarnished silverware. In a pot on your stove, add 1 liter of water, 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a piece of aluminum foil to the pot. Bring to a boil and drop the silverware in the post. Let it stay in the post for 10 seconds, if your silverware is very tarnished leave it in the pot a little longer. Remove the silverware from the pot using a pair of tongs. If the silverware tarnish is extremely built-up you will need to make a paste out of baking soda. The paste is ¼ cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water. Clean the silverware using the paste.

Try rubbing it with toothpaste. Good luck!

I use the same method that poehere explained. works wonders.

I have used a different solution than posted but very similar method. If possible, I use an old aluminum turkey pan or other aluminum pan (pie pan from store bought pie) instead of a plastic tub. Never use a metal pot or pan (stainless steel, copper, etc). I use washing soda instead of baking soda (usually) and I add a sprinkle of salt. Both methods work and are easy to do. Be sure to rinse after cleaning.

There are other methods that many people swear by and I have used one or two of them. Be very careful with silver plate as it is not as strong as sterling silver.

First method: (from jeweler web site)
Bring one liter of water, one tablespoon of baking soda and one piece of aluminum foil to a boil. Drop silverware in the pot for 10 seconds (longer if it's very tarnished), then remove using kitchen tongs. If built-up tarnish persists, make a thick paste with 1/4 cup baking soda and two tablespoons of water.

Second method:
White vinegar and baking soda: Use this gentle cleaner to remove heavy tarnish that's preventing you from polishing your silver. Soak the tarnished piece in a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp. baking soda (be prepared for the fizzing) for two to three hours, then rinse and dry.

Third method: works but takes longer and more work:
Soft cloth and toothpaste (gel type may not work)
Be sure to rinse with clean water and buff to shine.