How to Fix Sterling Silver Tarnished by Bleach?

I accidentally left my sterling silver and some plated, in bleach to clean them. I forgot to get them out. After more than an hour, I went to get them and they are very tarnished.

What do I need to do to restore them back to their beautiful state again?

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

There is a simple solution to clean your tarnished silverware. In a pot on your stove, add 1 liter of water, 1 tablespoon of baking soda and a piece of aluminum foil to the pot. Bring to a boil and drop the silverware in the post. Let it stay in the post for 10 seconds, if your silverware is very tarnished leave it in the pot a little longer. Remove the silverware from the pot using a pair of tongs. If the silverware tarnish is extremely built-up you will need to make a paste out of baking soda. The paste is ¼ cup of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of water. Clean the silverware using the paste.

Answer this Question

2 More Questions

I'm so stupid. I have 4 rings all are sterling silver. I'm heartbroken. I put them in denture cleaner. I thought it would clean them good.

Are they ruined" It was my mother's ring that my sons got me. my wedding set, and my Christmas present from my husband. Omg

Sterling Silver Ring Discolored by Denture Cleaner

Answers

Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,298 Posts
Best Answer

Try to clean your sterling silver jewerly with natural solutions like mild soap and warm water, that works for me along with a polishing cloth.

Answer this Question

I was cleaning and got bleach all over my silver rings and bracelet. I don't know what to do how do I fix it?

Answers

If it's real Sterling Silver you can restore it.

A little bit of toothpaste and rub. Then wash off, dry completely & use a polishing cloth.

Here are some other options you could try out: www.finishing.com/.../74.shtml

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

Use Guardsman silver polish.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

Silver polish works to fix bleach to remove the stains.

Post back if you tried toothpaste and if it worked. Silver polish is expensive and I am always looking for solutions with things I already have at home!

Thanks!! Blessings!

I ruined my silver ring this 4th of July weekend, i just bought 3wks ago, cleaning lawn tables with soapy bleach water and wanted to cry. Did the intenet search like everyone else, saw on a different site to use toothpaste. IT WORKS, IT WORKS. I did it 20 min ago. I used what I have to brush my teeth daily. I have the mint paste gel whitening with baking soda and peroxide by Colgate. I rubbed vigorously with just my fingers and in less then 5 min the tarnish/black stared coming off. I took a 2 square piece of toilet tissue and rubbed off the toothpaste and it was shiny and new again. I did it a 2nd time for good measure, not as long though. Rinsed it off with a dab of soap & warm water NO BLEACH, lol. It's sparkling again.

Yes it did work use Tooth paste and and old tooth brush and scrub

The tooth paste DOES work! I was so disgusted when I looked down and saw my ring was tarnished. I just tried the tooth paste and it is silver again! Thank you so much!

Anonymous

It works! Thanks for the info!

Woo Hoo!!! Thanks for posting back!

Yay!! So glad you got it fixed!! Thanks for posting!

I used toothpaste and it worked! Thank you so much!

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalSeptember 20, 2017
🎉
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/How-to-Fix-Sterling-Silver-Tarnished-by-Bleach.html