Cleaning Water Spots Off Windows With Household Products

My car windows were covered in hard water spots after mistakenly parking near a sprinkler at work on a hot summer day. I have washed my car three times and paid close attention to the windows, but had no luck getting the spots off. Today I decided to see what I could do with household products.

Here's what I used:

1. Crest toothpaste (the non-whitening kind, just simple paste) and paper towels for "buffing".

2. A mixture of white vinegar (3 parts), distilled water (1 part), and a bit of Dawn dish soap, in a small bottle and shaken slightly to mix.

3. microfiber car towel

Here's what I did:
Step 1: Use a small amount of toothpaste, rubbed onto the worst of the water spots, and buff with a dry paper towel. Pay close attention to the areas where the spots are the worst. If necessary, dampen the paper towel a little once the tooth paste gets too dry. I didn't get the paper towel TOO wet because I didn't want to drip tooth paste onto the body of the car. Not sure what that would do to the paint job.
Step 2: Dampen the microfiber towel with the mixture of vinegar/water/dish soap, and use it to clean the window overall. Use a little extra elbow grease where you can still see the spots.
Step 3: Once you have gotten the toothpaste up, flip the towel over and wipe until the streaks are gone.

After following these three steps, my windows are spot-free and shiny! Now, I'm going to go back and put on some Rain-X on my windows to prevent this from happening again.